Rectifier charging issues

Ghost_rider

Cadet
I have a 1994 johnson 50 hp j50tlere outboardi do not believe the rectifier is working. I had issues with the tach a few months ago and i actually hooked a wire up to one of the yellow wires at the terminal block. And it worked. I believe the rectifier is a small box on the back left side of the motor if your looking from the front. There are two relays as well. Is there a chance a relay blew? What do i need to test to see what is wrong? And where is the location of the rectifier on this motor?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rectifier charging issues

Does the charging system work?
If you go to the CDI electronics website, they have a section on how to check out the rectifier.
Below is a picture of your regulator, #63.
:: iShopMarine.com ::

Ghost_rider

Cadet

I checked with a voltmeter and it didnt apper to work. Is there a chance a relay is bad?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I think the relays you are talking about are for the power trim/tilt, and have nothing to do with the charging system.
Did you check out the rectifier, is it defective?

Ghost_rider

Cadet

Ok did some testing. I checked with motor running and off and no increase in voltage. Actually dropped a wee bit after running but went back to original voltage once off.

The box i assume is the regulator has five wires. Red,purple,blue,yellow,yellow/grey.

I did the following and i have flow both ways on all wires mentioned. But i dont think that this is just a rectifier

.(Small Rectifier Test)(J. Reeves)Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction. Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other. Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires. Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Ok did some testing. I checked with motor running and off and no increase in voltage. Actually dropped a wee bit after running but went back to original voltage once off.

The box i assume is the regulator has five wires. Red,purple,blue,yellow,yellow/grey.

I did the following and i have flow both ways on all wires mentioned. But i dont think that this is just a rectifier

.(Small Rectifier Test)(J. Reeves)Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction. Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other. Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires. Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Joe's instructions are for testing the simple unregulated rectifier. Yours is a regulator/rectifier.

If you see no increase in volts when the motor is running its a pretty sure bet that the rectifier is defective, Double check, if you have not done so by measuring the volts on the red wire. That is the Dc output from the device.
You could also disconnect the yellow wires and test the stator coil for continuity and perhaps test for an AC output from the stator when the engine is running.

Ghost_rider

Cadet

I measured the volts on both red wires and i do not remember any huge change if any. How big of a jump should i see in voltage?

hidef

Lieutenant

If you measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running and off and the voltage either goes down or does not change that is a sure indicator that the system is not charging. You also had to connect the tach to one of the yellow wires that also indicates that the voltage regulator / rectifier is bad. Based on what I have read going through this thread your voltage regulator / rectifier has failed and needs to be changed.
You want to order BRP part # 585001 — RECTIFIER & LEAD

When you get your new rectifier it may not come with the purple wire. BRP changed the design and the purple wire is no longer required. It was used to start the charging process. The purple wire provides 12 volts to the regulator when the ignition key is turned on.