Electrical Issues 1988 Johnson 30hp J30elcce

grizzrider09

Seaman
This motor is giving me fits. Let me give you some history. Boat has sat in a shed for around 5 years without being touched. Its my neighbors boat and he wanted to sell it so I told him I would clean his carb for him and help him sell it. I got the carb half way cleaned and it ran decent on the muffs but idled bad. Cleaned the carb again and was going to take it to the lake to see how it did on the top end. Got to the lake and turned the key and got nothing. No clicking no anything. Got to looking and the wiring harness from the key to the motor was burnt badly. I ordered a used one from a junk yard and it looked in good shape and installed it. You could tell someone had replaced it already at some point in its life. I got it installed and turned the key and I still get nothing:mad:. My neighbor has a fluke meter that I can use to check things so my question is where do I start looking. I know the wiring harness is hooked up correctly because I did it one wire at a time. I forgot to mention the only wire that was burnt up badly in the harness was the solid black wire. Where should I start. Oh and the only thing I can think of that would have burn the wire up is maybe from sitting in the shed a rat or something chewed into the wire. You could see after looking where something had cut it or chewed it.
Thanks for all of your help in advance guys.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Electrical Issues 1988 Johnson 30hp J30elcce

Black wires the neutral.
You could try testing for continuity between engine ground and control ground
If thats ok check you have 12v at battery positive which is red/violet normally at the key switch.
First of all look out for a fuse in the engine bay somewhere. It d be in a small capsule

Black wire is ground the neutral saftey switch/start ckt is yellow with a red tracer. This may help.

10.07.2013-18.37.png

grizzrider09

Seaman

Well I finally had time to work on this again and noticed the solenoid smelled burnt and I found a blown fuse so I replaced both with new and it turned over. But the starter turned extremely slow and then smoke started coming up from it so I left it alone. Do you guys think I might have something wired wrong? The thing worked great before the wiring harness burnt up on it. I did tap on the starter with a wrench after the first try and it moved a little faster then slowed to a crawl again and that's when the smoke came. I'm pretty sure I have burnt up the starter and need a new one but have you guys ever seen anything like this?

I would remove all of the spark plugs from the motor. (Battery should be disconnected for safety) turn the flywheel over by hand with relative ease. This will help rule out mechanical issues. Check all connections for tightness from starter solenoid to starter and to ground. If you are still having trouble with starter engaging might be worth taking apart and checking stator and commutator, might have corrosion and/or debris on them as well as brushes.

BTW blown fuse usually indicates a short to ground,

Last edited:

grizzrider09

Seaman

Ok I had a chance today to check all the grounds and tightened all up tight. The fuse hasn't blown again but the starter is not not jumping up and turning. It will spin just not jump up. But if you take something and tap on it, it will jump up and turn the flywheel extremely slow. Is it hard to rebuild this starter. It's an 11 tooth if that matters or do you think it would be better to just get a new one? Thanks guys

Will Bark

Lieutenant

You can rebuild it yourself or carry it to a starter/alternator shop and let them do it. Costs about $30.00 in my area and it's well worth it.