DVA Test complete! Bad Power Pack?

Becauseican

Seaman
I have a 73 85hp Evinrude that was not firing.I removed the kill wire and the rectifier wire and it started up.The motor would not switch off so my son in a panic touched the kill switch to the power pack to try to shut the motor off instead of just chocking it.Well it hasn't fired since.I baught me a dva adapter and began trubleshooting following the instructions from the cdi website. The resistent on the stater and the sensors #2 to #4 and #1 to #3 was good. Stator was a little higer that spec like 750 or so. Done the dva on both and both were within spec.But when i check dva on sensor to ground i get nothing.When i remove trigger wiires from pack and retest still nothing.The instruction don't say what is faulty when this is happening. I am assuming the Power pack but want to ask someone elses opinion.Thanks for any reply.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: DVA Test complete! Bad Power Pack?

check dva output from stator by reading from brown wire to brown/yellow on powerpac.should be 150v,mine read zero thus the stator is pooched.outboard ign.com has a excellent test procedure for that motor .test trigger wires while connected to the pac not off.check out their site for complete instructions.hope your son didn't cause more damage.by your first test you found the original problem and that's in the kill circuit some wheres.

Becauseican

Seaman

I did do a dva on stator brown and brown/yello and got like 278v wich is in spec.I did dva on trigger wires while connected to pack #1 to#3 and #2 to #4 and got 0.7 on one and 0.8 on other wich is withing spec.Its when i test the black/white and white/black wires to ground that i should be getting 150v+ and i'm getting nothing.I'll check other site and see if it says anything different..Thanks

Becauseican

Seaman

I have read this test 20 times to make sure i'm not missing anything. All the test are good until i get to the part where you test the black/white and white/black wires to ground and i should be getting 150v+ and i'm getting 0v. The test says if your getting low volt disconnect the 2 wires and recheck. I do this and still 0. The test says if the volts go up after removing the 2 wires there is a problem with the trigger.Thats not what is happening..I get 0 no matter what i do.The test nowhere says what is faulty if your getting 0 on that test.

82rude

Rear Admiral

the way I read it if your getting 0 volts the timerbase is faulty if you do test 2 and it creeps up it might be a wiring issue .you get zero so faulty.

82rude

Rear Admiral

be aware in no way am I an elect.

Becauseican

Seaman

Just a follow up.I called a tech at cdi. He says its the power pack because when i test #1 to #3 and #2 to #4 and i get above the 0.6 spec that the timer base is good. He said to check the kill wire and make sure it has no dc volts. It can kill a Pack. Thanks for the replies!