1998 6.0 hp Evinrude 2 stroke carb issues?

tbcox2

Recruit
I picked up a 1998 Evinrude 6 2 stroke for use on my refurbished 12' gamefisher. The guy I bought it from says it was serviced about 6 mos ago and hasn't been run since. I had to replace the plugs to get it to start and now it will only run when choked or revved all the way up. Am I looking at a fuel pump or a carb issue? If it is a carb issue can i clean the ports on this motor by only removing the bottom cup of the carb or do I need to remove the whole thing? Thanks in advance for any insight.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1998 6.0 hp Evinrude 2 stroke carb issues?

1. compresion test first .if over then 90 psi the problem is in carb somewhere

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy the manual

tbcox2

Recruit

Thanks guys. I actually ordered the manual yesterday but I don't have it yet. I'll let you know what I find, hopefully its an easy fix.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I picked up a 1998 Evinrude 6 2 stroke for use on my refurbished 12' gamefisher. The guy I bought it from says it was serviced about 6 mos ago and hasn't been run since. I had to replace the plugs to get it to start and now it will only run when choked or revved all the way up. Am I looking at a fuel pump or a carb issue? If it is a carb issue can i clean the ports on this motor by only removing the bottom cup of the carb or do I need to remove the whole thing? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Check the compressions as suggested by all means but if it starts without difficulty they will probably be ok.

If you can keep it running by choking it then my money will be on it needing a carb clean.

If the fuel pump is defective you would be able to keep it running by using the fuel line bulb.