Ignition switch backwards for older evinrude outboard

Findmefishin

Cadet
When I turn the ignition to position 2 it cranks as expected but does not completely fire. To start the engine I must return the switch to position 0 "off" to run. Position 1 "run" is actually the off position. This makes the engine very difficult to start as the key switch must pass the off position to get to the run position from the cranking position. Please help me correct this. Are two wires just landed in the wrong positions? I have not opened the throttle assembly to examine the switch, kinda wanted an idea what I was looking at before I started. Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition switch backwards for older evinrude outboard

Could be a bad switch or wiring messed up.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You obviously have a wiring problem.

What is the model number of the engine?

How many terminals are on the back of the ignition switch... and what are they listed (lettered) as?

What colored wires are attached to what terminals of the ignition switch?

Findmefishin

Cadet

Where can I find the engine model number. I have been looking for the year of the outboard but haven't been able to find it either. I still have not yet opened the switch as it has been raining all day but I will respond to your questions as soon as I do. Thanks for the help.

Should I be worried about opening the throttle assembly? Just wanted to make sure this is intended to be opened and worked on as necessary, didn't want to break any permanent seals.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Where the model/serial number is located depends on the year it was manufactured. It could be..............

A small plate on the port (left) transom bracket... a quarter size core plug (looks like a freeze out plug) on the powerhead... a heavy duty decal near the top section of the engine's swivel bracket.

Do you have any rough idea of the year and horsepower?

Findmefishin

Cadet

Where the model/serial number is located depends on the year it was manufactured. It could be..............

A small plate on the port (left) transom bracket... a quarter size core plug (looks like a freeze out plug) on the powerhead... a heavy duty decal near the top section of the engine's swivel bracket.

Do you have any rough idea of the year and horsepower?

The engine is a 55hp. Model number 55875s. Serial number E006193

I will open the throttle assembly today and take a couple pictures

Thanks for your help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Model 55875S is a 1978 55hp Evinrude. The terminals on the back of the ignition switch should be marked B, A, M, M, C, S but not necessarily in that order.

B = Battery - 12v Voltage wire, usually RED.
C = Choke - Purple/White wire.
M = Ground- Black wire - NOTE: This is the regular type terminal.
M = Kill Circuit - Black/Yellow wire - NOTE: This would be the raised "M" terminal.
A = Accessory - Purple wire(s).
S = Starter solenoid - White wire.

Findmefishin

Cadet

Mr. Joe Reeves I want to thank you very much for your help. The kill switch was landed on the wrong terminal for the ignition switch. I changed the location based on your wire color schedule you provided and now she fires o the first time everytime. Thank you very much. You have been a very big help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

And I appreciate your appreciation my friend. :)

Findmefishin

Cadet

Ok new problem....... Boat ran great for an hour, cranked right up and idled over a few points before picking the first place to wet a line. Picked up two smallmouth and then went to move.....starter spins no crank, tried again just spinning, I removed the outboard cover and tried again......the starter appears to be spinning the wrong way!!!!! I try with my hand and when spinning clockwise the starter raises to catch the flywheel but when using the ignition the starter spins counter clockwise. Any ideas? Nothing was done to cause any change, it just would not work when I tried to start her back up. Please help. Thanks

Fed

Commander

It's sticky, clean & lubricate the curved spline part.

when using the ignition the starter spins counter clockwise
This is the correct way for the starter to spin so that the flywheel spins clockwise.

also clean all the connections on the larger cables including the area the negative bolts to the motor. A bad connection will make the starter spin up slowly. The starter needs to snap into action so it increases speed faster that the bendix (gear) that way the shaft winds the bendix up into the flywheel.

Findmefishin

Cadet

Will try all of these and let you know. When I spin the starter with my hand in the direction it travels when using the ignition it does not climb to engage the starter, but spinning it the opposite direction it immediately climbs to engage the starter. I thought it would only climb when spinning in the one direction. I did not realize that it will climb going in both directions. I will clean and update this next weekend when I am back in state. Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You are somewhat confused my friend. The starter has always turned "Counter Clockwise" in order for the bendix gear to turn (crank) the flywheel "Clockwise" (think about it). Also, the bendix gear will only rise when the starter is turning in a Counter Clockwise direction. The direction of rotation is observed ONLY by looking straight down upon the starter and flywheel.

Either you have a bad battery, a good battery but losing its charge due to a faulty charging system, a failing electric starter, or a bad cable connection somewhere that pertains to the electric starting system. Start trouble shooting by cleaning and re-tighten all cables and wires pertaining to the starter setup, including the battery terminals.

If you have a good known fully charged battery and good known jumper cables, you can check the electric starter by connecting the battery directly to the starter motor. If this cranks the engine over, then obviously the electric starter is okay.