1986 Johnson 30 hp 2 stroke outboard .

Wsideshow

Seaman Apprentice
I was running about 10 to 12 knots and hit a sand bottom yesterday. Not bad , but enough I had to stand on the front deck to let the boat coast out of the shallow.

I put the motor in neutral so not to stall in the shallow bottom. The motor stalled. She was peeing and never got hot.

Now the starter turns the motor over , but won't start at all. Any idea what to do ?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 Johnson 30 hp 2 stroke outboard .

some people here have said its possible to shear off the key on the crankshaft under the flywheel.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer

check kill switch, it happened to me

Wsideshow

Seaman Apprentice

Kill switch ? The only one I know of is the one by the controls . The emergency kill switch .

Hardwater are you talking about the shear pin ? If so the motor would still run wouldn't it. Had a friend break his shear pin last week. The motor ran , but had issues going into gear.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

no i was talking about the key on top of the motor on the crankshaft. i think if it is disturbed it will mess up your timing. it was just a thought. did the motor ingest some sand?

Wsideshow

Seaman Apprentice

Not that I know of. It was a quick hit , but wasn't violent. The motor was peeing and running fine in neutral for a few minutes after contact .

Last edited:

Wsideshow

Seaman Apprentice

I had a coworker put in new spark plugs and nothing. I had him put his finger in the plug socket and turn the motor over. He said he never got shocked. Could it be the coil pack ?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Could be several things.
You need to go to the CDI electronics website and look up your engine, use their trouble shooting guide to help you find your problem.