1986 Johnson 110hp with trim has weak spark

Bee Reel

Cadet
Hey Everyone! I recently purchased a 1986 Johnson 110hp model # J110TLCDC ob and am having trouble with spark. Ive purchased a gap tester and tested each wire from each coil and the spark barley jumps a 1/4" gap. I've installed new plug wires and tested the resistance on each coil which all seem to be within spec via cdi testing charts. Also determined that I'm not getting any fuel on one cylinder which I am going to address with carb tune ups and cleaning. Motor ran when I got it but during water testing it was very sluggish and only went about 10mph at WOT. Stator seemed to be within specs as well but I'm not sure I'm testing it correctly. I tested between the brown and the brown/yellow wire. I'm guessing a bad power pack but don't want to just throw parts at it in hopes to solve the issue. If anyone has had similar problems and could assist me I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Johnson 110hp with trim has weak spark

check your grounds, shiney clean and tight?

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Johnson 110hp with trim has weak spark

I would also check all the fuel system as well as the carbs. Do all new filters etc. I've also learned to check the resistance on new wires even if they are new. I made new wires for my v6 crossflow and I crimped a wire incorrectly. The resistance was off! Long story short........if you check them , then you know they are good/no good. They should all just be in the same resistance range(if the same length). Do a compression check too(not tthat you have a problem........just so you know the condition). It should be in the 120 lb range. As mentioned above, Remove each coil and check that there is clean metal on the ground strap and the head itself. Make sure the ground on the powerpack(s) is good.