1975 Evinrude 25 compression test results - help needed

vidsdinerie

Cadet
Just finished getting my 1977 Starcraft 14 all fixed up and had a chance to start the engine. Craig's list buy for $550 so lots of work was needed. The engine is 1975 Evinrude 25 that came with the boat. I got the gear case all resealed (it was full of emulsified oil), new water pump, replaced cam and key (badly worn), points and condensers, and pulled carb apart to find it clean - looks to have been rebuilt recently so I just reassembled after adjusting the float height and decided to start it. Both plugs were new. When I bought it he said it was hard to start but once running it ran fine - but for boat/motor/trailer for $550 I did not have high expectations.

I put it in a barrel I did get it to start after the 8-9th pull and ran reasonably well in neutral and put it in gear and rev'ed it briefly. Did not want to idle at very low speed and did stall a few times. Each time I could restart it after a few pulls and started adjusting low speed needle (needle was not worn.) It stalled again and could not restart after a few pulls so I called it a night. The engine was warm but did not seem excessive. My plan tomorrow was to put it back in the barrel and makes sure the thermostat was ok by restarting and running up to temp and measuring the engine temperature per the manual with an Infrared thermometer. Looking at the housing it has never been replaced as the factory paint is unmolested on the bolts and gaskets.

I removed the spark plugs and the upper plug did have more deposits on it then the bottom one. It ran for maybe a total of 3-5 minutes.

Based on the plug deposit differences I ran a compression check tonight and the Top cylinder is running 90 psi and the bottom 120 psi. Did not put any oil in cylinder, just mounted gage and pulled the cord till pressure peaked. From looking around the forums seems like a decarb is in order. I have to admit I am a newbie to the 2 stroke engines so I figure it is best to ask for advice. With the boating season nearing an end here in Erie I am hoping something short of taking engine apart.

1. Is this level of deposits typical for a short period of time with lower compression?
2. What's the best way to decarb - is the Seafoam Motor Treatment the right product?
3. Any other thoughts would be appreciated for winter work on the engine after boat is put away.

plugs.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 Evinrude 25 compression test results - help needed

Quick question, does the fuel pump mount to the lower exhaust port cover on your engine?
If you have a diaphram leaking in the fuel pump, it will flood the cylinder and wash the plug clean, and cause running problems.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had some success with soaking the cylinders over night and got the compression back to with 5-10 of each other. How does the rest of the motor look, has it been taken care of or was it neglected?

Last edited:

vidsdinerie

Cadet

The engine looked to be in good shape. I went ahead and ran some seafoam through following the instructions. Just got back from Presque Isle and ran for about 20-30 minutes in the water mostly at 1/2 throttle as it was a bit rough. Ran about half a gallon of the sea foam and gas mixture through. Just checked the Cylinder compression is now 120 and 118 psi and plugs look good after running. Starts right up now. What a difference!

vidsdinerie

Cadet

I took some photos after coming back from run. Couple items.

1. Looks like two bolts on the exhaust cover are leaking small amounts of water while running - any ideas?

2. The gear case has oily water seeping from two weep holes - is this normal?

I included a photo of the fuel pump as well. I did change the screen in it but the old one looked pretty clean.

IMG-20131005-00284.jpgIMG-20131005-00286.jpgIMG-20131005-00287.jpg