1958 johnson 10hp qd-19 owners manual info and lu water in oil.

WOODY26

Cadet
Well, I just aquired a 1958 johnson 10hp and was wanting to take it out Sunday. First question does anyone have a owners manual they can send me pics of or email me the pertinent info for starting and running this beauty. Second is that when I checked to see if it had oil in the LU water came out then milky oil from bottom plug on skeg. This motor was redone supposedly (at least was repainted) so I dont want to just start cracking it open and messing up the paint since they painted it assembled and not seperate pieces. I guess the question is how many seals are inside that could be leaking water into the LU? Thanks in advance.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1958 johnson 10hp qd-19 owners manual info and lu water in oil.

HI woody. Neat old motor. I used to have a '61 myself. Here is a link to a complete parts catalog with exploded diagrams as well as a great all around tune-up link. You can get any routine parts you may need for the job right here at iboats. As for the gear case oil, while black/grey oil is ok, water and/or milky oil are signs water is getting into the gear case. It's actually fairly common on these old motors. Changing the seals isn't hard and only costs about $30, but before you take everything apart, try simply replacing the white, nylon crush washers found beneath the DRAIN/VENT screws. They're a one time use item, but most folks don't realize it and reuse them, which can allow water in. I would get some new washers, fill the gear case up with some fresh lube, then take a run on the water and recheck it. If you really need to change the seals, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

1958 Johnson QD-19 10 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Johnson

WOODY26

Cadet

Thanks for all the help. I noticed a lot of moisture inside when I removed the shift linkage access cover. Not sure if its leaking or if its somewhere else. Will check the nylons washers.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great motors I have a 58 QD-19 too. Water in the tube with the shift linkage is normal, that is the path back down from power head.
Starting Prime (squeeze primer bulb or press button on pressure tank) Pull the choke set throttle to start range pull 1-3 times if tuned up should start, when running push choke in and adjust high and low speed jets as needed underway.
Doug

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as leakage in lower unit one seal that gets missed often is the O ring under the bushing on the shift rod. It can also leak at seal at lower part of water pump and gasket under the base of the pump. Spaghetti seal around the skeg shaft seal and oil plugs.

WOODY26

Cadet

LU seal kit ordered today hopefully there will not be anything major to fix. Thanks for all the suggestions, going to pull it apart tonight and start cleaning the gunk.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pay close attention to the gears/dog/bearings, etc...

In '58, they changed to your 4 bolt gearcase. Lighter, but didn't have the strength of the 5 bolt. I haven't noticed much difference upon inspection of the components between the years, but something to note.

EDIT: I have a few of the 58 QDS, like the one in my avatar. They are one of my favourite years for sure.

Last edited:

WOODY26

Cadet

Thanks for the heads up and I agree on the 58 models! This is the one with the troubles. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That motor looks great. Seems someone put some time into that.

kfa4303

Banned

I love the paint job on the '58s. It's my all time favorite.

WOODY26

Cadet

Ok, I'm trying to take the lower housing off and the water pipe is holding it. Do I have to just pull harder or is there tricks to get it seperated?

nwcove

Admiral

did you remove the oval plate on the leg and disconnect the shift rod?

WOODY26

Cadet

Yes

kfa4303

Banned

First, I would shift the motor into FWD to fully separate the upper and lower shift shaft rods for good measure. After that, make sure all of the bolts that hold the LU the exhaust housing are removed. You can then drop the LU by pulling on it/tapping on it with a rubber mallet. It should actually start to drop under its own weight. If it's still stuck, just be patient and continue tapping on the anti-vent plate with the mallet. The water uptake tube should only be held in place by friction and should come free some gentle "persuasion".

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the shift rod is lose and still not coming off one trick I have used is put wood shims like you use when putting in a door and keep adding shims then turn the fly wheel, it should come off. Could be the old rubber piece in the water pump dried out and stuck

WOODY26

Cadet

Thanks guys, I got it free! Hopefully the new gaskets will be here tomorrow!

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

change your impeller while you're in there.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. May as well install a new impeller while you're at it. Only about $10 and only takes 5 min on e the LU is dropped.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

+1. May as well install a new impeller while you're at it. Only about $10 and only takes 5 min on e the LU is dropped.

10 bucks! Wow you guys down south get your parts much cheaper than we do! We are about 25 to 30 bucks an impeller.