1977 Johnson 115 hp power trim inop

Hello all,

I have a problem with the power trim not working at all on this outboard (model 115EL77S). I have even tried direct wiring straight from the battery. It went up a little bit and then stopped. Will not work. Is the solenoid shot? What gives?

Greg Boswell

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1977 Johnson 115 hp power trim inop

Just went through mine this past summer, same year and HP as yours.
Mine has the Prestolite Pump and the pressure rams are on outside of the bracket.

However, my engine was modified to use two regular car solenoids by the rebuilder.

From time to time my solenoids will crap out. I can still raise or lower for ease of trailering by using a screw driver between the power poles on the solenoid.

I also would suggest you look at the control switch. Mine needed a little attention from 30 odd years of use. The little contacts inside the switch needed a little cleaning and adjustment. Was easy to do, just make sure all the screws are out. Couple are hidden behind wiring.
Good luck

Greg

RRitt

Captain

Hello all,

I have a problem with the power trim not working at all on this outboard (model 115EL77S). I have even tried direct wiring straight from the battery. It went up a little bit and then stopped. Will not work. Is the solenoid shot? What gives?

if a trim motor does not spin properly when hotwired then the motor is bad and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. generally speaking, rebuild is a waste of time and money. Even a cheap new motor is better than half baked rebuild. Unless you're willing to put $100 parts and 4-6 hours time then just skip the home repair idea.

Thanks for all the help guys... I will check the wire harness and see if any of the wires are arcing. If not then I guess it's a new trim motor.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The solenoid is wired through the trim switch for the "up" movement only. The down movement is wired direct through the switch only.

It doesn't go up or down when directly wired to the battery. That's why I feel the wire harness should be checked. I'm guessing it can't hurt any.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you put the jumper wires from the battery directly to the trim motor wires bypassing everything else, you have a bad trim motor.