1981 70 HP Johnson outboard

arx77

Cadet
I am a first time boat owner. I recently purchases a 1981 16 ft aluminum monark boat with a 70 HP outboard Johnson.

My issue is: I rebuilt the carbs and put in a new starter switch. The engine will fire but will not start. Problem is that even with the key not in the ignition when i test for power on the starter it shows as hot. and the engine fires when I turn the key to the on position not the starting position. The previous owner wired around the safety switch on the control box. Should I purchase a new OMC control box with a safety switch? ARe my current issues keeping the motor from starting?

The boat has electric tilt but the tilt is not on the control box it is on the dash next to the steering wheel along with 3 other switches for the pump and lights.

Thanks!

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1981 70 HP Johnson outboard

You may only have to rewire the ignition switch. See here for a diagram of the correct wiring.

edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

arx77

Cadet

You may only have to rewire the ignition switch. See here for a diagram of the correct wiring.

Thanks! My ignition plug is black and has six pins. does the color matter? Im wondering if the previous owner in their attempt to wire around the safety switch they used the wrong ignition plug

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You said your engine is a 1981 with a black harness connector, I thought they used a red connector then, could be wrong.
Could you post a model number?

arx77

Cadet

You said your engine is a 1981 with a black harness connector, I thought they used a red connector then, could be wrong.
Could you post a model number?

Model # J70ELC1H

Thanks again for your help!

arx77

Cadet

I think the previous owner used a different connector to wire around the safety switch, thats why i was thinking it would be easier to just buy a new control box with the correct wiring . Your thoughts?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it were me, I would get the factory manual with the electrical schematics in it and correct the wiring back to factory specs.
It might save you a lot of problems in the future.

arx77

Cadet

It is a red connector. i was confused as to wear you were talking about. I looked on the engine yesterday

I also purchased a manual from ebay that I should have early next week

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I bet the manual will help you out. If you still have problems, come back and ask.