Bleeder Valve

war623

Seaman
While out on the lake today, I went and tried to start my 90 HP evinrude engine. It tried to start but then quit firing. I pulled the cowl off and noticed that the bleeder valve(thats what I call it) was gone. It looks like the valve stem in a tire.
I believe it is used to bleed the air out of the fuel line if you run out of gas. The valve stem is missing along with the cap. I have tried to find it on the parts list but I can only seem to find the cap. This is a 2001 90 hp Evinrude. Can anyone shed any light on this?

After checking further this looks like a test port. Apparently it is to check the fuel pressure. I don't understand why it is not listed in the parts manual.

Last edited:

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bleeder Valve

Its not a bleeder but a fogger/decarb port attached to the manual primer lever. You possibly broke it off when removing or installing the hood. It can be bought separate. If the internal portion of the lever is rotated in the bypass position, it will be too rich to run. You will have to replace it.

war623

Seaman

After researching it further, it looks like it is called a test port. It had a schreader valve in it and it apparently blew out. The odd thing is is that it does not show it in the parts list.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If your engine is fuel injected it might be for testing fuel pressure and might have to be replaced as a unit.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

according to the book Evinrude only offered Ficth 90 hp models.... do you have carbs on your motor? if so, you may have a Johnson with an evinrude hood...many people damage the hoods especially in the yard during storms.. and they will pick up what ever fits. I say that because you mention "YOUR" diagram doesn't show the valve!but I bet a Johnson 90 hp ...does bob

war623

Seaman

Scan0001.jpg
If your engine is fuel injected it might be for testing fuel pressure and might have to be replaced as a unit.

It does not show in the parts diagram so I called ********** and they have the valve that I need I think. It is a port that has the schreader valve in it. I'm just afraid of it because it was so cheap. It was only 6 bucks and I don't know any part on a marine engine that is that cheap.

Scan0001.jpg

Last edited:

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on the non fuel injected older motors its part of the fuel primer system. the schradder valve as it called allows you to hook a can of engine tune or fogging oil directly into the fuel system by turning the red valve. It may function the same way on your newer motor.
I would look at the carburetor or fuel diagram in the parts section.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Could you post your model number?
When I look at the parts breakdown of the motor you listed it shows fuel injection.
I think the part you are showing in post #6 is for a carbureted engine on the primer solenoid.

war623

Seaman

Could you post your model number?
When I look at the parts breakdown of the motor you listed it shows fuel injection.
I think the part you are showing in post #6 is for a carbureted engine on the primer solenoid.

The model # is E90FPLSIF. This is the model # that I gave b**ts.net. It is suppose to be the right part but is so cheap that I am not sure.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The model number you list is a fuel injected engine, is yours fuel injected?
I cannot find that part on a fuel injected engine, maybe not looking in the proper place.
I did find it on a carburatored engine, does #50 look like what you need?
:: iShopMarine.com ::

war623

Seaman

The model number you list is a fuel injected engine, is yours fuel injected?
I cannot find that part on a fuel injected engine, maybe not looking in the proper place.
I did find it on a carburatored engine, does #50 look like what you need?
:: iShopMarine.com ::
I do have a fuel injected engine and what ir looks like is that I am getting the wrong part. The valve that they are sending me is what you are showing for a carbed engine. I will have to give them a call and find out what is going on. I also could not find it listed for a FI engine. The cap was listed but not the valve. Thanks for the thumbs up and I will let you know what I find out.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am wondering what you can hit with the cover taking it on and off that is associated with the fuel system....on the carbed engines (which do have the Schrader valve and "tire stem cap" it is located UNDER the air box!!! I looked at thew diagrams for your motor and cant see what you are talking about....the picture you posted does go to a carbed 60 degree looper....cant say if it goes to a Ficth motor.is # 45 the part you are missing
wk3c6e.png
bob

war623

Seaman

It does not show it on the parts diagram. It's on the part # 5 and to get the schreader valve, I have to buy the whole unit. I went and installed a straight line without the valve and it will not work. It would pump the gas up but air would pump along with it. It would try to start but that is all it would do. I need the schreader valve in line to bleed the air out. I can buy the whole unit(part # 5) and would probably be okay but that is ridiculous to buy and have to install all that just to get the valve.

P.S. I did not hit it with the cover...It just blew out.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Just a thought, have never tried it.
Most cars are fuel injected now, most of them have a port to attach a fuel guage to check pump pressure. They use a schrader valve in their test port also, might hit a salvage yard or auto parts store and see if one of them will work for you.

war623

Seaman

Thanks... great suggestion. My minds been working overtime trying to come up with an idea. Here is a couple of pictures of the t connector minus the schrader valve. I am going to find a 1/4 inch schrader valve and tap out the center and install it. I am just wondering if the material inside the valve will withstand gas. Would you know?IMG_0543.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The ones used in the cars will withstand gas.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not intended to be a killjoy, but 2 things never to be modified is steering, brakes and high pressure fuel fixtures. Think of the consequences if that fitting blow out of your threads. Is it really worth the risk to save a few bucks?

just saying.......:(

war623

Seaman

Not intended to be a killjoy, but 2 things never to be modified is steering, brakes and high pressure fuel fixtures. Think of the consequences if that fitting blow out of your threads. Is it really worth the risk to save a few bucks?

just saying.......:(
I understand what you are saying but the last one blew out and the engine just quit running. This entails paying $213 in essence for a valve stem. I just hate being held hostage for just a cheap part.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The black plastic part, is the part that has the valve ?? Is this connected to fuel system with hoses and clamps? If so the valve can be found at a Napa store, will take a lot of looking in there books. Plenty of brass Ts at good hardware stores that will replace the plastic T.

war623

Seaman

The black plastic part, is the part that has the valve ?? Is this connected to fuel system with hoses and clamps? If so the valve can be found at a Napa store, will take a lot of looking in there books. Plenty of brass Ts at good hardware stores that will replace the plastic T.
That's what I need. I know it's there if I can find it. What I need is either plastic or brass 5/16" T fitting to fit a 5/16" gas line with the center part of it 1/4" threaded to fit a 1/4" schrader valve. If you got one laying around somewhere I can use it.