1960 evinrude 40 bigtwin new float and fuel pump kit questions

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all 2 questions I bought a carbie kit and float for my motor and the tab on the float is way too short to reach the needle.the cork float had a much longer tab so I turned the float upside down and bent the strap from from the pin end to the float so that it would hit the needle and close off the fuel supply.it works but yet to find out if it is at the right height at wot.Also the new needle has a spring that I cant work out how it is supposed to attach to the needle so I cleaned the old set and used them.
As for the fuel pump the old diaphragm has 2 metal button shaped discs stuck to it.They seem to be their to stop the springs puncturing the diaphragm are they stuck there just through age, as the new kit doesnt have them just the diaphragm o rings and filter any thoughts appreciated cheers.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 evinrude 40 bigtwin new float and fuel pump kit questions

are you sure you got the correct kit? the metal buttons should come off most likely just stuck.

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960 evinrude 40 bigtwin new float and fuel pump kit questions

yes pretty sure it is the correct kit.40hp 1960-64 here from iboats,thought so but wasnt sure if stuck or not.