Skeg guard + tilt lock for 1972 Johnson 20 HP?

drochest

Cadet
I have a 1972 Johnson 20 HP I just purchased.

Part of the skeg is broken off leaving the prop exposed. Anyone know of a skeg guard that will fit, or a better method of fixing the problem?

Also, the motor only locks in the down position. There doesn't seem to be a way of locking it up-right to trailer it or when in shallow water i.e. a beach landing.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

David R

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Skeg guard + tilt lock for 1972 Johnson 20 HP?

Hi i dont know about the skeg but often there is a long rod on one side of motor which can be slid in when on maximum tilt to hold it up for trailering etc

drochest

Cadet

Hi i dont know about the skeg but often there is a long rod on one side of motor which can be slid in when on maximum tilt to hold it up for trailering etc

Sorry - can't locate anything of that description. The previous owner simply used a custom wooden block and tie down straps when trailering, but I'm more worried about shallow water/ beach landings...

Thanks for the suggestion. Might have a closer look to see if there is any other hint of what you mentioned.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

This is the bolt for the tilt lock, its US$55 so i would use a wooden block instead too

301984 — BOLT, TILTING SHAFT

There should also be a revers lock on it, its more common than not that those tilting, locking bits and pieces have degraded and being removed over the years as they rust up etc.

EDIT Sorry ive put you wrong there, thats the main hinging bolt.
It might be this that its missing but that seems to just lock it down in reverse...
303980 ARM, MANUAL LOCKING LEVER

I cant see any mechanism on it to lift it up as you come into the beach, theres only the trim rod down the very bottom of the exhaust housing

Last edited:

drochest

Cadet

This is the bolt for the tilt lock, its US$55 so i would use a wooden block instead too

301984 ? BOLT, TILTING SHAFT

There should also be a revers lock on it, its more common than not that those tilting, locking bits and pieces have degraded and being removed over the years as they rust up etc.

It might be this that its missing but that seems to just lock it down in reverse...

I cant see any mechanism on it to lift it up as you come into the beach, theres only the trim rod down the very bottom of the exhaust housing

Cheers - I'll investigate a bit further from what you've given me, and resort to the old wooden block if all else fails. At least I've put a bit of rope on it, so I won't lose it :)

Many thanks!

drochest

Cadet

Cheers - I'll investigate a bit further from what you've given me, and resort to the old wooden block if all else fails. At least I've put a bit of rope on it, so I won't lose it :)

Many thanks!

drochest

Cadet

Many thanks!

kfa4303

Banned

HI dro. I have a '66 20hp which is virtually identical. You can either get some new aluminum welded onto the old skeg, but it's probably easier to get a used lower portion of the gear case clamshell. You should be able to find them on ebay very easily, and the same part from any 18-20 Jonson/Erude of the era will work. While your motor does a have large rod/bolt that you can tighten to add tension while tilting the motor, there is no way to "lock" it in the upright position while in transit. You can either do the wooden block trick with a bit of rope on it so it doesn't fly away, or simply leave the motor in the unlocked, down position (assuming the skeg is at least 1 foot off the ground). The motor is so light that it won't bounce much, or impart too much flex to the transom. Here are some handy links.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
1972 Johnson 20R72R 20 hp Outboard Motor Parts

drochest

Cadet

Great - thanks also for the useful info!

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best to have skeg welded if you can find someone that does this and know what they are doing .Used the "wooden block" method to keep motor up but never worked out , motor bounced too much causing strain on transom , tied it up with rope with motor tilted up inside boat worked out better .

lindy46

Captain

I made a "transom saver" out of a piece of 2" PVC pipe. Cut it to fit on the motor leg and on the back of the trailer. I then use a bungee cord to secure everything when traveling down the road.

kfa4303

Banned

cool. Do you have a pic lindy?

lindy46

Captain

No, I sold it with the boat. I used a dremel to rough cut the motor end of the pvc pipe to the rough shape of the leg of the motor. Then I used a file to fine tune it to fit. I did the same on the other end to fit over the center roller on the trailer.