Problem with trim

Problem with trim

• trim problems

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • trim won't stay up

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The tilt and trim on my motor works fine if I am sitting still or going slow, but when I put power to the motor, it won't trim up. If I trim it up when going slow, as soon as I put power to it, it drops right down fast. It will hold any position when the boat is sitting still. Fluid is full, no air in line and no leaks. Any ideas?

RRitt

Captain
Re: Problem with trim

probably not a power trim system. just power tilt.

still afloat

Cadet

What type and brand motor???

If it is a full tilt/trim system chances are its either low on fluid, got an internal leak or bad check valve somewhere internally.
Maybe try asking in a motor specific area here too.

pckeen

Commander

Depends on the motor - some motors don't have the ability to trim at speed. They don't have enough power. Go to the motor's section and post a thread.

What type and brand motor???

If it is a full tilt/trim system chances are its either low on fluid, got an internal leak or bad check valve somewhere internally.
Maybe try asking in a motor specific area here too.

Thanks for the reply. The fluid level is full. Had some one else tell me to check for a bad check valve. My motor is a 1989 Johnson 175GT.

Depends on the motor - some motors don't have the ability to trim at speed. They don't have enough power. Go to the motor's section and post a thread.

Thanks for the reply. My motor is a 1989 Johnson 175GT. Should have enough power.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like something internal. My gt150 does not do that. Fluid is being forced out of somewhere under pressure when it shouldn't be. I haven't opened one up before, but it sounds like force is causing you to lose pressure and the motor goes down.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silly question. Have you checked the fluid level ?

s13browe

Recruit
Hello, Was this problem ever fixed? I have the exact problem out of my Johnson gt150. J150STLCDC. I am in the process of moving so am not able to work on it much its not even at my house. I have never worked on boats or many hydrolics but i have been an auto and small engine mechanic so not afraid to try. I will be checking fluid when i get a chance. Any more info would be great I may start my own thread on it later if i can't figure this out.

s13browe

Recruit
Does my setup even have check valves if so how do i get to them thanks.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
forum rule #12 Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

its east to start your own thread, when you enter a section of the forum, at the upper left there is a blue "button"..." create+new topic". just click it and add a title and your question. it is ok if you add a link to this thread for others to possibly gather info and help you out.

s13browe

Recruit
Sorry i figured it would be better to use the archives than start a new thread that has been discussed before. I should have studied the rules more that makes perfect sense. thanks. I found some info on another site that i am going to try first if not then i will start a new thread. Sorry :facepalm: