1990 Johnson 48 hp trim cylinder leaking

CAMORAY

Recruit
J48ESLESA

Had to replace the tilt motor in May......hydraulic cylinder was not leaking then......after about 5-6 weeks of use
the motor started to hesitate before starting to lift......it got progressively worse and then the cylinder started
leaking ......I need to rebuild the cylinder but am having a hard time finding a rebuild kit for this unit.....lots of
kits out there for other models but not this one.......any ideas?????

What would cause this cylinder to leak when it was working good when I replaced the trim motor??

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Johnson 48 hp trim cylinder leaking

Age would cause the leak. Have to tried right here on I-Boats to get the parts ??

RRitt

Captain
Re: 1990 Johnson 48 hp trim cylinder leaking

you are lucky you got as many years as you did.
the seal used on that unit is actually designed for a spinning shaft like a crankshaft or armature. The 1970's trim systems used an angled wiper designed to scrape debris off retracting shafts. That is why a 1970's top seal will often last 30-35 years while the 1990's are lucky to make 20. Personally, I can't figure out why OMC went to a less evolved technology.

At any rate, the omc seal kit 0435567 will include the piston rings, top seal, and top wiper that you need to rebuild the cylinder. To rebuild the pump half you will need a pair of 0335134 poppets. If there is any water in your oil then you will want to go to grainger, fastenal, or mcmaster and get some 3/16" precision industrial balls. 5 for piston, one for relief valve, and two for gearcase. 1990 has a durable MRV design and you should not need any MRV parts other than the housing seals. Once you have collected all the parts and an industrial quality 3" adjustable face pin spanner then it is a fairly easy rebuild.

Last edited: