1992 60hp Evinrude Ignition Switch Problem

jcrewcab2

Recruit
Hello
Have a 1992 Chris Craft Caper 156 with a 1992 60 hp Evinrude engine.
The spring in the ignition switch went bed keeping the starter engaged. The local parts distributor here in SWFL suggested the MP39760 switch as a replacement. The first problem is that the letters from the new and old switch do not correspond exactly. Spent many many hours and several days without success of the entire process working correctly. Have contacted Sierra without success of any assistance. The Chris Crafts manufacture sent some info but not enough to get it done. If any one has knowledge of this issue or where it can be found it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1992 60hp Evinrude Ignition Switch Problem

Welcome to the forum.
It looks like that is the correct switch by the parts breakdown that I looked at.
What letters don't match up?
Can you post a model number?

submariner1980

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WARNING WARNING
The pin out for this switch is completely wrong. YOU have to check pins with ohmmeter in every position of key or damage to motor electrical will occur. In my case it was powerpack and melted wire.:scared:

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

...The spring in the ignition switch went bed keeping the starter engaged...The first problem is that the letters from the new and old switch do not correspond exactly...

I had the same problem replacing the key switch with the Sierra on my 1989 60hp. The terminals are so close that it's hard to tell what letter corresponds to what contact. But the MP39760 Sierra switch does work in my engine.
Since your old key switch is yet working somewhat, you can get a multimeter (set to ohm or conduction) and find out the connections in the different key positions and compare with the new switch. The remote control wiring and switch connections are shown here: http://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/REMCONTBOX.jpg
Start with the (only) round terminal M which is the black/yellow kill wire. (When the engine is running there is high voltage on this wire (about 300V), thus this terminal is raised in order to increase the isolation distance.) Then find the other terminal connected to "round M" with the key in OFF position. This is the the second M terminal that goes to the black ground wire. And so forth...

Note that there is a little mistake in the wiring diagram. The "primer on" figure actually shows Start plus Primer on.