15 hp Johnson leaking fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordenny

Recruit
I was out running the boat and after killing the motor to do some fishing the boat reaked of fuel. I took the cowling off To look and noticed that fuel was leaking out from behind the choke. The motor would not start back up and had to have some one pick me up. After we let it sit for a while with the fuel line detached all the fuel leaked out and then I tried to start it again and it cranked right up. Why did this happen? Has anyone else had this happen? This is a 15 hp Johnson 2 stroke 1994.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 15 hp Johnson leaking fuel.

Stuck inlet valve needle or float in your carb.
You may need to change either or both

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you pump the fuel primer bulb & it gets hard, does fuel leak out of the carb? If so that could be an indication the the float inlet needle is sticking open.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

float is sticking open, would suggest replacing the float, needle and seat. Should take care of the problem.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Although the fuel would not leak from behind the choke, it is also common for this model of carb to encounter a float bowl hairline crack. Very hard to see the crack, but will leak fuel. This can cause a rich mixture when sitting for a few minutes after a run (hot soak).
The top cover (plastic) also cracks on some models. This is usually visible.

Check the above posts as well and let us know...

Last edited:

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On those later motors (post 93s) there was way less plastic carb top problems, it seems they changed the composition & design.

Status
Not open for further replies.