1978 115hp evinrude.. cooling,exhaust ports

Powhatanjoyce

Recruit
Hi guys i have a question I've seen all over the net but haven't seen the answer I'm trying to find out... On my 1978 115 hp evinrude i have water pouring out of the exhaust water ports as soon as i start running the motor.. and i mean not a sputter but like my water hose is just running through it.. Now i know that water should come out of those holes. But should it be that much that soon or should it be less at first till the motor has warmed and the thermostats start to open.. when i first got the motor running it didn't seem to do that . water didn't just start pouring out like that but the last couple of times it does.i have water coming from my tell tale hole just for info so the impeller is working.. I'm just not sure if the thermostats may be stuck open ..now i know i should change them anyway since i just got the motor but from what I've read this seems to be a tough job because of placement of the tstats placement of the lower cowl.... Thanks for future responses

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 115hp evinrude.. cooling,exhaust ports

Water will come from those exhaust relief ports. That's normal Usually, it really starts to flow when the thermostats open up. Or, you rev the engine up to 2500, causing the pressure relief valves to open in the thermosat housing. It is possible your thermostats are stuck open-that would cause water to flow out of the ports almost immediately after starting. If that's the case, best to repl the stats so it heats up to normal running temps. When your'e in the housing, double check those nylon pressure relief valves to be sure they are not deformed....

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Much as you might not like to hear it, you better go through the Tstats. There are spring loaded relief valves in there that can fail too. As well as grommet like seals. Feel yer pain about gettin at em but it's just somethin ya gotta do.

Note. The spacer between the housing & the block is made of 'bakelite' plastic. Take care not to break it.

Powhatanjoyce

Recruit

Yea I'm thinking they are stick open cause water just pours out at idle when first fired up.... Knowing i need to change them let me ask you guys. Will the three bolts come out with the liter cowl in place or is there a trick.. I have read where someone drilled three holes in the cowl to get them out which i really don't want to do. but if that's the easiest*then i can.. Cause there don't look like much room at all where they put the thermostat

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 1986 110 evinrude bubble back. I cut a rectangular hole in the lower cowling big enough to get to the thermostats easily. When done, I tack welded and bondoed the panel back on. You are supposed to remove the power head to do the thermostats otherwise.