Converting johnson 140 from VRO to premix need part number

Dan757

Cadet
Good evening,
I am new around here. I recently bought my second boat. I sold a great running boat and bought one that doesn't run yet. I bought a 1991 Boston Whaler outrage and I am working on restoring it. It has a 1990 Johnson 140 with a VRO. One cylinder ran lean so I am honing the cylinder and replacing the piston. I am looking to convert to premix and have gotten a whole lot of mixed ideas on the internet on what to replace it with. Any help on a part number of a fuel pump that I could use would be most appreciated. I have read on here that a 1982 Johnson 150 fuel pump will do the trick but when I look for it there is an upper and a lower...what pump do I need?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dan

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting johnson 140 from VRO to premix need part number

If the vro is still working mix your fuel 50:1 and save some $$$$$$$$.

Dan757

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The engine was running until it used up all the fuel in the ball and then it would die unless I hurried up and pumped the ball again. So I believe it is not working.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You're right, it's not working. You may want to look up a 88 or 112 Special as they didn't use vro's.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The maxrules web site will usually have a recommendation for a replacement premix pump, and they may have a rebuild kit for the gasoline side of the VRO pump. If you can rebuild it, you can decide if you want to stick with oil injection or go premix.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What ever the outcome go with the premix fuel.

Dan757

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies...Boobie, when you say 88 or 112 special is 88 the year? and 112 the HP? If I went with a pump for a 112 would it have sufficiant capacity for the 140? The rebuild kit on maxrules is $145 and then my worry is that may not fix it....they do have one pump on there that looks like it may work...would have to do some modifications like the guy in the "premixer now" thread for mounting but it does not list capacity...dont want to run it lean again..Below I have listed the part numeber and description from max rules.

JOHNSON EVINRUDE FUEL AND VRO PUMPS and REPAIR KITS. REPAIR YOUR VRO OR FUEL PUMP! -- MASTERTECH MARINE

3-HOSE PUMP
WITH 5/16" PULSE HOSE FITTING
WITH 5/16" FUEL OUT FITTING 8555-X $76.00

boobie

Supreme Mariner

88 and 112 are the horse power.

Dan757

Cadet

Thanks again Boobie, is there a need to be concerned about the capacity of the pump? I have a parts dealer locally told me on the phone yesterday that they are all about the same around 3 PSI?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The 112 special should work okay.