1989 Evinrude 88 Primer Bulb pulling tons of air.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class
getting lots of air in the fuel line when priming using bulb.

background: at low rpms, motor dies unless I pump the primer bulb.

took fuel hose off motor, took off connector so that hose end is exposed, placed end in an empty glass jar and observe that with each pump of primer, most of the bulb squeeze produces more air than fuel. (replaced bulb) got same result.

ultimately, I went straight to the gas tank (18ft aquasport cc with underhull gastank) and connected a hose with a primer bulb and pumped 50 times again. still getting mostly air in the line with spits of gas. (I even took off the fuel guage at 1/2 tank and visibly observed that I had a half tank of fuel in there)

scratching my head as to how so much air can get in. (I took a straight hose and connected to the tank directly and blew in the line...could hear bubbling, but with almost no pressure.

the question: so by now I've taken a lot out of the possibilities of the problem and am thinking that inside the tank where my hose connects; that inside the tank, I'm guessing that there must be an extension hose that goes to the bottom of the tank and perhaps that has fallen off ???

i'm guessing now.

any input is welcome.

and...thank you all. This has always been my 'goto' place to get educated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Evinrude 88 Primer Bulb pulling tons of air.

Disconnect the hose from the tank and stick it in a portable tank and pump the primer bulb, do you still get bubbles?
It sounds like the pickup in the tank might be cracked and allowing air in the system.
Some tanks are made so that you can remove the pickup tube, does yours screw into the tank or is it welded in?

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree. Pull (unscrew) the fuel pickup out of the belly tank. Likely the pickup is a plastic tube. It may have a hole above the fuel line in the tank, OR it may be loose at the top where it meets the head. In either case, you'll get more air than fuel.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you both for your input. you were right!

The pickup tube inside the tank cracked and that's where the air was coming from. (and yes, it did unscrew)

I am soooo glad!

cheers all.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you found your problem, and an easy fix as well.