Shifting problems 1998 15 hp evinrude

load141

Recruit
In last couple of seasons, my shift lever has started to get sloppy. Sometime of the time, it says neutral pull the starter rope it will start but is in forward, pull the lever forward and the rope will not pull. Neutral seems hard to find. Now the I am having a hard time shifting into reverse. Most of the time, just pushing lever into reverse will not do the job. If I slam the lever sometimes it goes in gear and others times not. If I put into forward and then reverse fast it will go into gear sometimes. When it is in gear it works fine. Looked at the motor, and the only thing a see moving when moving the shift lever is the black cam and the finger that engages the flywheel. No grinding when trying to move lever. Have not hit anything lower unit is full and clean. Is there some type of an adjustment that I cannot see or are we talking lower unit problems. Anyway tests that I can preform. I have a good knowledge of tools. Thanks

load141

Recruit
Re: Shifting problems 1998 15 hp evinrude

Looked every where on top end saw nor problems. Pulled the lower unit. Moved the shiftier and shift rod moved fine. On the lower unit, it is easy to move the rod up and down (neutral,/forward) but when trying the reverse, it is EXTREMELY hard.
I am thinking something is not right in lower unit. Never worked on a lower unit is it hard. Waiting to hear from someone be fore I proceed One other thing I noticed on the brass fitting holding the upper and lower shift together, the bottom prtion the clamp is loose. The shaft will not com out, but slides up and down on the rod and spins is the correct way it should be

Last edited:

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Shifting problems 1998 15 hp evinrude

tighten this brass conector
put back lower unit
shifting mechanism has some kind of tension spring.its located under carb(or in front of carb),check this