87 evinrude 3cyl 60hp weird Idle issues

ltz82

Cadet
Sometimes engine idles low and dies other times engine runs away like 5k plus rpms other times it idles normally. On the hose it always seems runs right. In the water it usually starts off with the idle ok and then dies and progresses to the run away idle after you've been running a while. But then it will start idling ok and then dies. WOT engine runs good sounds good feels smooth planes the boat etc

If I can tell its about to die I can bump the key to keep it running. The run away idle I have to turn the key off to stop it

Engine was Vro converted to old style fuel pump last year got new fuel lines at same time. Has new Cdi power pack and ignition coils rectifier was replaced about a year ago. I have an ohm meter that was used to check stator 604 ohms and the timer base had 12.8 ohms on all three wires when tested to the white wire. I don't have a dva so could not check outputs

Carbs were completely rebuilt a year ago and recently taken apart and cleaned when this problem started around May
I checked compression yesterday and had all 3 cyl within 1 psi at around 150. Observed spark plugs to be black and wet looking. Cleaned them up really well and no change in running. Checked link and sync pickp timing etc everything seems to be in spec

Any ideas of what else to check? Fuel problem? Ignitin? Air in fuel lines? Reed block? Crankcase leak? I don't know what kinds of symptoms some of these 2 stroke parts can cause I'm an auto mechanic and struggling with this outboard.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 evinrude 3cyl 60hp weird Idle issues

Normally a run away idle is caused by a lean condition in the fuel system. If you hit the choke when it wants to run away, will it slow it down ??

ltz82

Cadet

It has a primer solenoid and not a choke. I guess if it's leaned out adding fuel will still fix it. I'll have try bumping the key to see what effect that has ok the runaway idle.

If it is a lean condition that could explain both scenarios. I guess I should be looking at the carbs again?

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

or call an exorcist:laugh:

ltz82

Cadet

Update: it was a lean condition caused by a small piece (and I mean small)of metallic junk of unknown origin blocking the small idle passage in the idle circuit of the number three carb I cleaned out this metal with a small pick reassembled carb and now engine runs great

Thanks for the lean tip that helped me figure out where to look!