1976 Evinrude Power Pilot control handle adjustment advice

samsgunner

Recruit
I have a 1976 Evinrude 70 hp motor, model 70673d with a power pilot control. Yesterday was the first time I had the motor on the water. The control handle engages the transmission smoothly when the control arm is advanced and increases the idle speed slowly. Reverse works well. Where I need some advice is the handle had to be pushed to an almost horizontal position before the motor would take off to planing speed. Once it engaged, I had a very small amount of travel from that point to the maximum travel distance of the handle. Please advise is this adjustment is made at the control box, motor, or if my cables are simply in need of replacement. Thank you

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Evinrude Power Pilot control handle adjustment advice

If the control cables aren't bad you can make the adjustment on the mtr. Remove the throttle cable from the mtr, pull it back and forth and see how much play is in it.

samsgunner

Recruit

Thank you for the advice.

samsgunner

Recruit

I started by moving the control handle to WOT. The carbs were only opening just past 1/2 throttle. I could see well over an inch of threads, on the boat side. I adjusted it several turns until the the carbs were wide open when the control handle was horizontal. I only see approximately 3/8 of an inch of threads now on the boat side. It takes a firm push to move the control handle to wot. I may need to either lubricate the cable or replace it. Thanks again boobie for the tip.