Motor height for a 1988 Ranger 375v with a jackplate

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have this boat that I restored. It has a 6" plate installed 2. What is the correct height(approx) for this boat with a plate? It has a stepback too. I haven't messed with the setup that came with it. I think its a little low. The boat started chine walking full out with the motor trimmed way out. I was running a 27 renegade bass. It also has no tail whatsoever. I would figure iut should have made some sort of roostertail(3-4 tall). I was running 60 plus. I am new to setup for a bass boat. My other bass boat that I had(16' cajun) had no plate nor a stepback or a motor this big either. What should water pressure be at speed too? I did install a pressure guage on it. I am already aware of making sure that the motor keeps getting water thru the intake screens. I have the newer style intakes on my evinrude(2"squares) not the old 4 holes style.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor height for a 1988 Ranger 375v with a jackplate

Set the center of your prop shaft 3.5" below the pad. Test it and make adjustments from there. If you lose lift or water pressure and have a massive rooster tail lower it a 1/4" and re-test. If not raise it 1/4" and see if your top speed improves.

I'm not sure what the water pressure on a Johnson/Evinrude should be, I'm a Mercury man.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I'll check the height now and see what I have to do from there.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone know what h2o pressure is for Evinrude crossflows?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I would guess about 15 to20 psi at wot.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks boobie. I remember seeing around 15. It scared me a little. I have 5plus at idle and I still have the pee vent still hooked up too. I measured my height from the propshaft center to the bottom of the pad yesterday. I got close to 7 inches. The person before me raised it enough to put the cavitation plate at the bottom of the pad. I'm going to raise the motor to the lowest bolt holes on the plate and see what that does. That'll give me around 2" lift. Then I'll fine tune with the jack plate. If the wind lets me, I'll do it today(run it).

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the boat in the water it ran much better. I used an old raker 22 to see what would happen. It went 67-68 at 6000. That is with hardly any lift. The boat does not want to get up on the pad. It came up to where the front half was off the water, But it is still flat across the water. Any suggestions? Water pressure was 25 at full speed on the 235.

Who can I send a prop to (that 22 raker) to put some cup in it? I have no one in Maryland that I trust to do any kind of reputable work. There used to be a good one but it's gone!!

Last edited: