1956 5.5hp Johnson Lower Unit Removal

hockey103b

Cadet
Trying to remove lower unit to replace impeller. Like many of the posts I have read, the lower unit will only go down about 3/4". I have removed the four lower bolts and the side metal plate but cannot figure out how to disengage the gear shift. I don't see any bolts that attach to the shifter, only a circular pin that I can't do anything with. Also, in the midst of messing around with the lower unit, my throttle lever has now locked up. HELP!!!

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1956 5.5hp Johnson Lower Unit Removal

On that model you have to remove the powerhead to get to the shift linkage, not that big of a deal to do.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Okay, what side plate did you remove?

hockey103b

Cadet

Thanks. Trying to remove the power head. I have taken off the main bolt in the center and disconnected the throttle linkage/fuel lines. Still cannot get the power head off. Is there something I am missing? I have read that often you need to use a rubber mallet to get the power head off but I wanted to make sure I have not missed any other attachments before I start swinging....

nwcove

Admiral

Thanks. Trying to remove the power head. I have taken off the main bolt in the center and disconnected the throttle linkage/fuel lines. Still cannot get the power head off. Is there something I am missing? I have read that often you need to use a rubber mallet to get the power head off but I wanted to make sure I have not missed any other attachments before I start swinging....

main bolt in the center? there are 7 ( i think) slotted screws that hold the power head on. they are the larger ones as viewed from the bottom. one is a bit tough to get at, but not a major issue.