help. 1993 evinrude 150v6 no start after fried rectifier

Was enjoying a day on the water and my rectifier went up in smoke. The key had been turned off for hours and for no reason it melted. get a new one and goto start my motor to make sure it runs.(my starter had been making a grinding noise for the last 50 hours or so but it kept starting my motor so i kept using it.) Well after a few cranks of it not starting it gave up the ghost as well and just went to a singular "click" as I tried to start it. Pulled the starter apart and the brushes we're gone/bad and the case magnets were cracked. Got the starter rebuilt, reassembled by a shop that does them everyday. Put it back in the boat and it just spins, the bendix wont pop up and engage the flywheel. This has the bendix separate from the starter. SO i removed the flywheel cover and lubricated the bendix with dry lubricant in case during my down time it was stuck. so rebuilt starter i've got 13.0 volts at the battery and 12.8 at the starter solenoid. jumped directly to the starter with cables(bypassing the solenoid) and it acts the same. Help i'm about to go crazy.

VE150ELETG

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: help. 1993 evinrude 150v6 no start after fried rectifier

Id ring the shop. So long as you are sure you have a good NEG ground jumper going too

MBHeyworth

Recruit

The rectifier went up in smoke for a reason. I'd check your battery connections, and then the power connection on the outboard. A loose cable, ground or postive, will cause the starter to click but not engage since it can't pull enough apps through a bad connection.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I have a real dumb question. Do you have the battery installed correctly ??

i put a ton of hours on this boat.. the battery side is wired the same way it has been for the last 100 hours atleast. the starter side though, i'm wondering if i've got something mixed up
the one side of the starter solenoid goes to the starter, the other has the main power cable, the rectifier red wire and 2 other smaller ring terminals. then for ground i have the one big ground cable and 2 smaller ones bolted to the face of the starter. Does anyone have a pic of what this looks like from the factory? theres not a good picture in the service manuals

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Yes. I'm his bud who was standing right in front of the motor, on the water, when it went up in smoke! "Umm, your motor is smoking.." After we had been sitting there for quite a while. Motor was cold in my estimation. But I said the same thing.. The Rectifier burnt for a reason.. It just wasn't clear what the reason was. Not sure why it picked that time to go.

well i've got the shop that rebuilt the starter replacing it with a new on on monday since I think it wasnt spinning fast enough to engage the bendix.. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

well new starter fixed it...learned my lesson for next time i guess