1993 Mercury 120hp Outboard - What Lower Unit Oil/Lube to Use?

thevirus

Cadet
Good afternoon fellas!

Well its about that time of year (at least here in CT) to start thinking about winterizing my boat.

This is my first year owning a boat so be nice :)

I read the FAQ about winterizing my boat and I had a few quick questions that I was unable to find answers to via the search function.

First and foremost I realize I have a lot of options for changing my lower unit oil/lube. And to start is it technically oil or lube? My boat did not come with a manual otherwise I would use what was recommended. Given it is a 20 year old engine what would you guys choose?

It was also stated that I need to get the water out of all the hoses. And come to think of it I have no idea what hoses an outboard would have associated with it that run water through. I have no on-board plumbing besides the bilge pump.

And I see its a best practice to raise the trailer off the ground on jacks, would everyone agree this is necessary?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1993 Mercury 120hp Outboard - What Lower Unit Oil/Lube to Use?

Hello virus. To the best of my knowledge, Merc have NEVER made a 120hp outboard, Force did though. Could you post the engine serial number for us? And maybe a photograph?

To answer one of the questions, it's oil. The oil recommended for most gear housings and stern drive units is High Performance Gear Lube... But we do need to identify what you are working on...

Chris.......

thevirus

Cadet

EEsh wow shows what I know, its an Evenrude model number: e120tletf.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

now we need a moderator to move the thread to the appropriate Johny-rude sub-forum.

regarding your initial question on lower unit gear lube. I myself use amsoil synthetic on my motors. When I work on other peoples equipment, I put the manufacturers branded oil (Quicksilver in a mercury, evrinrude/johnson in a johny-rude).

however if you do a search, you will see that oil threads and lube threads are like chevy vs ford threads. been discussed and talked to death.