40 HP Evinrude Wont Idle after Carb inspect and tune-up

Okay here is my current breakdown:

Engine: 1985 Evinrude Model: e40elco

History: Purchased with 13? McKee skiif about six months ago, started and ran fine.

Had water in lower unit and spun prop, put boat on lot with fresh 2-cycle pre-mix ( With ethanol unfortunately) and Fuel -Stabil in fuel tank. And serviced lower unit on personal time and boat sat for 2 months

Issues: After installing lower unit engine would crank but not idle or run. But will fire and run for 4-6 sec if injected with starting fluid, so sounds like fuel starvation or bad separated fuel.

Steps taken: Pulled all (new) fuel lines to check pressure> was good

>Cleaned out old fuel and mixed up new batch, still not running on it.

> Checked Spark was great, wet plugs mean fuel is getting there.

>Checked for fuel pressure at carb inlet and is strong.

>Pulled carbs and took apart bowls and blew compressed air threw all the inlets I knew or could see, and all ports seemed clear. The carbs are shiny clean and have been serviced in last couple years I was told.

>Played with fuel/choke solenoid and has fuel pressure and engine will run for high RPM awhile if I turn red lever back 180 degree from inline setting. When turned back so it will idle engine dies.

After reading several posts and tinkering I am out of ideas. I am still thinking a carb jet is clogged or maybe the choke solenoid is faulty. Maybe a fuel delivery issue, but fuel pressure from pump and at carbs is hard enough to spray everywhere if hose is moved slightly, and plugs are getting pretty wet.
Any other area I am missing to get an old 40hp to start and idle again?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 40 HP Evinrude Wont Idle after Carb inspect and tune-up

Using a squirt bottle with fuel mixture in it, try squirting fuel directly into the carbs and see if it will run, if so you still have a carb problem.
When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the core plug on the top of the carbs and check the passages in there to make sure they were clean?
Is the lynk/synk set properly?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you remove the float bowl plugs and check the high speed jets under them for being clean ??

Using a squirt bottle with fuel mixture in it, try squirting fuel directly into the carbs and see if it will run, if so you still have a carb problem.
When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the core plug on the top of the carbs and check the passages in there to make sure they were clean?
Is the lynk/synk set properly?

I will try the regular fuel spray.

I inspected the carbs and they seem really clean. Did not see a core plug but will check. The linkage is set I am sure to the correct spec, it did fall off and I guess it goes in black plastic clips with bends toward bottom carb?

3 clean bowl.jpg2 carb set.jpg1 carb bowl.jpg

I did not remove the flat head/nut bowl plugs, as I assumed they were just for draining fuel and had nothing to do with intake/mixture. I would like to find a diagram or re-build breakdown for these little guys. I have done re-builds on my 73, vw beetle mostly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The high speed jets are under those plugs and feed fuel to the whole carb. Take the plugs out and take a peek.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Here you go.
#19 is the high speed jet, you need to remove it and make sure it is not plugged or restricted.
#5 is the core plug you need to remove and check the tiny passages in there to make sure they are not plugged.
:: iShopMarine.com ::

ctsoe42

Recruit

Not sure but please let me know when you find the problem. Im having the same problem with my 48 spl evinrude. My posting is "48 evinrude wont idle" thanks! Ill do the same if I figure out mine.

Hey guys, Okay so took me awhile to get back to this project. Here was my next steps
1# I got a fresh bottle of pre-mix fuel and srayed into carbs while starting, and it would run a little but stop even while spraying continuously. Flooding perhaps? I then opened throttle way up and watch carb butterflies flap open and when started it revved real high! but still no idle.

I then took carbs off and have disassembled and blew air threw passages #19 and #5 and all other known, and lifted floats while blowing to make sure smooth. Everything is blowing real clean and I see no issues with these carbs.

There must be a idiot error here I am missing. If I have the throttle linkage that connects the carbs upside down does this change the idle setting? There is a air inlet nipple on the airbox and on the engine would this be an issue?

View attachment 213086 View attachment 213087View attachment 213088