How do adjust the breaker points on a 9.5 hp johnson

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
If anyone can explain how to adjust the breaker points on a 9.5 hp johnson, will be able to get the model number and serial tomorow. The motor wrights "set points to .020" on the flyweel but i just need to know how to adjust them.
If anyone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

sndmntboy

Cadet
Re: How do adjust the breaker points on a 9.5 hp johnson

This may help: Johnson

and this: Johnson

It's for a 9.9 but i think they are basically the same as far as the ignition system goes.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

As stated in Leeroys ramblings, setting the points with a feeler gauge only gets you in the ball park. I like to use the continuity tester method also found in Leeroy's article. If you go this route, you DO NOT need to drill a hole and attach a wire, with your particular motor, you just use the kill switch wires that are already there. It will make more sense after you read the article and watch the video in the attached link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1Cjymj6ms

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP embossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi all,
I tried the continuity test with a digital multimeter and then run the engine and it would ran on one cylinder so I adjusted the points to close a bit more then it would run on 2 cylinders at idle but then as I throttled it up slowly cut out onto one cylinder then as I got to full throttle the engine would die down. I re-adjusted the points to the proper spects (.020) and then ran the engine and it ran perfect from idle to full throttle. I let the engine sit for ten minutes then fired it back up again, it only needed 1/4 of a pull to start it which shocked me a bit comparing to 4-5 pulls to start it earlier before I reset the points.

kfa4303

Banned

Niiiice 115! Once you get these old girls dialed in, they fire right up with no problemo ;) That's why we all love 'em so much. I love leaving guys with fancy motors at the dock as I putt-putt away with my old, rope start, 2-stroke. Feel free to post some pic of her running on the water down in the land of Oz. Cheers!

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, was running good till it started sneezing and misfiring, I cant tell if its coming from the carby or the ignition, does anyone know what the carby settings are on these motors, what a setback that was, I had it running that good I could start it by spinning the flywheel by hand, then this next problem happened, I replaced the old stile fuel pump to the new small square type ones, not sure if that's got anything to do with it. will be interesting to find out what the problem is, because I'm a marine mechanic apprentice only 8 monthis into the apprenticeship so this is helping me develop my skills on troubleshooting.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a few things I can think of is it could be a blocked jet, or some wires arcing out under the armature plate, if anyone could suggest anything else, the motor is "misfiring" at all speeds, right now I have the mixtures 1 1/2 turns out, that's the basic mixture setting but because I don't have a manual I cant properly tell exactly what the mixtures should be, but it would be great if anyone could come up with some suggestions. Also Kfa4303, I totally agree, today I serviced an old 15 hp Johnson and once the mixtures were set, it was running better than a brand new 15 hp mercury that came out the box. when I put it in the tank (the Johnson) it only took one pull to start it after 2 weeks of sitting on the rack. The mercury took 3 pulls to start it from the box. that's how to pus a smile on my face, knowing the old motors are still just as good as the new ones.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

1.5 turns out from seated for the low speed needle, 3/4 for the high.

is it misfiring, or is it a lean sneeze? Will choking it, or sticking a couple fingers in the carb throat smooth it out?

Running it at dark will help see if it is arcing anywhere. Also, installing inline neon spark testers will help determine the consistency of the spark while running.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

....should have also mentioned.....the 9.5s can be difficult to tune if the mounts are shot. They are notorious for this. The mounts can be a pain to change as well. Once the mounts go, the powerhead shakes so badly that it throws off the ignition, causing misfires or killing it entirely. Something to note. If this is the case, tell the customer it usually costs more than the motor is worth to repair.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Will choking it, or sticking a couple fingers in the carb throat smooth it out?"
I was surprised you said that because I did that today and the engine stopped sneezing, it still ran rough but it stopped sneezing.
does that mean its a lean sneeze?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also I don't think the engine mounts are shot because the motor wasn't shaking a lot, also I couldn't find the high speed adjustment is on the motor.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could it be to do with the float adjustment?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes that means it is too lean, and what you heard was a lean sneeze. By sticking your finger in the throat, you are choking it, or, creating more fuel and less air, ie richening the mixture. The needle is either set wrong, or there is an air leak in the gaskets, carb, fuel line, fuel line fittings, etc... Might be as simple a fix as backing out the needle a bit more.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think its an air leak somewhere because I tried winding out the low speed needle but nothing changed. Is there any way I can test if theres any ail leaks, e.g pressure testing the fuel system.