1959 Johnson super seahorse 35 lower unit help.

Johnny reb

Cadet
I have a 1959 Johnson Super Seahorse 35. I purchased a old fiberlass trihull bass boat with engine and trailer for case of beer.so guy says it run it just kicked in and out of gear and while doing that one day he lost the prop in river. well I checked with some of you fine folks and was told it is probably some dog gear wore out. I tore the lower unit off down where prop goes, and I see a snap ring off something just resting in their. I checked all the gears out and their is no wearing on any gears to be even concerned had neighbor double check he just tore his apart so he knew a little but not enough. so basically Im guessing that snap ring being off is more than likely the problem,and ive been looking all over to find a parts diagram or list picture something to give me an idea where its suppose to be. I sure would appreciate any info. also need the engine electrical schematics if anyone knows about that. thanks everyone and have a good day.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Johnson super seahorse 35 lower unit help.

The snap ring goes in the groove. It falls out when your remove the skeg.

I assume you don't know what you are looking for on the dog. Few people do on their first attempt. It takes surprisingly little wear on the ears to make it jump. Same goes for where it mates with the gear. The one in this picture was extremely worn out long ago.

Attachments

• Clutch dog.jpg
    Clutch dog.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Johnny reb

Cadet

ok went back through found wearing on gears and on corners of clutch dog so I went on Marineengine.com and found most parts a few they dont have bot Im looking around $600. with just what they do have and it still needs prop and nut and etc for prop to stay on and Im guessing it needs a gasket set through whole thing. I havent ever heard this thing run yet so is this old jewel worth sticking Money like that into or would I be further off finding a differant one.thanks for all the advice fellas.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look in the "Top Secret File" at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, I bet one of them could help you out with parts a cheaper.