Things I have learned working on an 18hp 1960 evinrude.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my third antique motor revival/restoration. I have two more. A 37 seahorse and a 57 10hp Sportwin. You may know a lot of what I say and you may know nothing. You are free to agree or disagree--God Bless Americas 99 percent!--EDIT The motor is beautiful to look at--a work of art. It is a simple and flowing mechanical design. The oil mix is 24 to one, The best oil is xd50 and if you can afford it xd100. The wires can be routed in a manner that interferes with obtaining full wide open throttle and require re-routing. The carb kit I purchased contained a boss gasket that was too thick--FACT! The gasket, purchased by itself was the same deal! This was confirmed by myself, a contractor for over twenty years with a background including aviation mechanics, A counterperson at the dealership and a seasoned repair tech/owner at a certified dealership. As well, the carb float pin was millimeters too long and the old one had to be cleaned up and re-used. When installing the packing for high and low speed needles: each orrifice gets two cork and then one nylon washer. You can put up to four cork washers in each if you like. The core plug can be topped with rtv silicone to improve likelihood of no leaks. The float should be set a little lower than level to insure a good seal. I like 93 octane you may argue 87. You can convert to electronic ignition with (2) "Nova two" electronic ignition modules for twenty four dollars. If you have been through the carb three times, start looking at the ignition system! Well, thats all for now.

Last edited by a moderator: