Starter solenoid 92' evinrude 115 hp

barry light

Cadet
I just replaced the starter solenoid for the 3rd time in 2 years. Bought originally from NAPA, who sells marine parts ( have bought impellors from them). Their part numbers are the same as Sierra Marine, so I am assuming that their part is the same manufactured part as Sierra. Can anyone verify this?

This NAPA solenoid has a 2 year warranty, which is good, but when it goes bad while on the water every few months, ain't good! I took apart this last bad solenoid and could not see any visible issues. Evidently the coil windings are bad, as when applying voltage to the switched terminal, it willl not pull down the solenoid. Is there any way to check the windings?

I saw a year old post from someone having the same problem with a 98' 115 hp. After he posted several times with several responses, and still having the same problem, he took it to an expert, and the expert said that he quit using Sierra parts because of problems. This expert installed an OMC solenoid, and the user said he has not had any more problems.

Not trying to "bash" any distributor/manufacture.

Has anyone got a comment about my issues, and questions? Especially, if the NAPA part is same as Sierra? I did replace an impellor on a 40 hp Merc last year with a NAPA part ( thinking it also was same as Sierra). This impellor was in "yellowed" packaging and might have been sitting on the shelf for a while,. That impellor did not last one season.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter solenoid 92' evinrude 115 hp

Before condemning the solenoid.... run good know jumper cables, (+) directly to the battery cable terminal of that solenoid, and (-) to a powerhead ground. Now, using a small jumper, connect that small jumper between the (+) cable jumper and the 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid that normally engages the solenoid.

If that brings the solenoid to life, the problem is not the solenoid but rather the cables and wiring associated with the electric starter circuit. In which case, remove and clean thoroughly all of the cable/wire end terminals along with the components they attach to, then tighten all cables/wire terminals securely.

Feel the cables/wires for hot spots which would reveal either a faulty connection or internal corrosion of the cables/wires.

barry light

Cadet

THanks Joe, but I have done all that. I have 12.7 volts to the solenoid post from battery, and I have 12.7 volts to the small post on solenoid with ignition switch turned to the crank position. Solenoid does not engage ( click). I even took the solenoid off and wired the small ignition switched post to the positive side of a good battery, and the other small post on solenoid directly to negative side. No click. Installed new solenoid and it works fine. As mentioned, I have had to do this for the 3rd time in two years. A mechanic said not enough voltage or too much to this kind of a solenoid will eventually damage it. If that's the case, can I test the wiring somehow during the cranking phase? Or am i just getting low quality solenoids, since its the same solenoid I am getting from NAPA?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Do they keep replacing the solenoid for free?