1983 johnson 15 hp, the good, the bad the not so ugly. almost ruined by local shop

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i picked up this nice little johnson for 250.00

the low down, dad bought the motor new / serviced since new at the same place. goes out hunting last year motor makes it up river two miles, then dies. old man has to row back (over 86 years young) this was after the shop did a water pump and service.

here is what i found.

water pump was missing the shaft seal. the rubber grommet that fits over the water tube was split / folded over.

thermostat was replaced, and nitwit doesnt install the seal, or retainer for the stat so it gets bent.

throttle cam is missing a little piece so it doesnt quite idle right.

the motor overheated so bad the darn coils melted.

the good, i think i can save her. the cylinder walls still have the cross hatch marks. lower unit is so tight that when the sun hit the lower the drive shaft pushed out. the head is pulled and glass sanded. carb is nice and clean now. new fuel pump. used coils and cdi (i have a few). now all i have to do is wait for the parts.

some picts.
CAM00215_zpsf41047d8.jpg

CAM00216_zps5343e4a6.jpg

CAM00229_zps1d5966e8.jpg

CAM00232_zps9ec61805.jpg

CAM00226_zps64f2d382.jpg

just wanted to share. cant always trust even the best of shops. careless mistakes that almost toasted a motor. i still need to put her together to see if its salvavgable. it had 100 psi/100 psi before i started the teardown. so im hoping that the motor will purr when she is back together.

dino

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1983 johnson 15 hp, the good, the bad the not so ugly. almost ruined by local sho

Dino,
sorry to hear about your Dad's bad luck.
Rowing that far is no fun at any age. I always keep a TM on board for backup.
I'm sure he would appreciate you getting it running again.
The cylinder looks great in the pic.
Keep us posted.

jasper

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: 1983 johnson 15 hp, the good, the bad the not so ugly. almost ruined by local sho

That's why when I have no known opinion on where the fish might be, I usually decide to go up river instead of downriver. Nothing worse then taking 20 strokes with the oars, taking a needed break and having the river push you right back to where you started the previous 20strokes. That gets annoying real quick.

Good luck with the motor.

dkonrai

Dino,
sorry to hear about your Dad's bad luck.
Rowing that far is no fun at any age. I always keep a TM on board for backup.
I'm sure he would appreciate you getting it running again.
The cylinder looks great in the pic.
Keep us posted.

jasper

jasper,
not my dad, it was the previous owners father.

as for upriver, i never gave that any thought. hmmm good tip! now its just a waiting game. will be a few hours getting her back together. needs a little touch up on the motor/engine. head and water jacket needs to be repainted.

i think after all the work, im hoping to have a nice little runner.

dino

dkonrai

update.
its back together and she runs really well. nice low idle. compression is good 115/115. fired right up, no leaks on the head gasket or water jacket. and amazing....she pumps water and runs nice and cool.
at times i do feel a little giddy when a motor starts on the second pull after working on the little motors.
1983 johnson seahorse 15 hp motor - YouTube

1983 johnson seahorse 15 hp motor - YouTube