1995 Johnson 150 Fast Strike v6 60 degree looper will only start when it is cold

shem

Recruit
I could use some advice. I'm new to outboards, but I've been doping my homework.

I'm working on a 95 Johnson FastStrike 150 hp v6 60 degreee looper.

The motor will start right up when it is cooler than around 85 degrees F. But when it gets warm outside it will not start. The motor turns over but it will not kick up. I thought it might be bad thermostats so, I tested the motor without the thermostats installed.. same problem.

I talked to a dealer and they convinced me it was the OIS, so $86 later with a new OIS installed it still will not start when it gets warm outside.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shem

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Johnson 150 Fast Strike v6 60 degree looper will only start when it is cold

If it runs at normal operating temp, the first guess is you have a fuel issue. Do you use the choke whenever cold starting? If not, that is the first thing to try. If so, advance the throttle (throttle only) and see if that helps.

Second guess: Is Quickstart working? Maybe it doesn't work at the 85* threshold? It is supposed to kick on for a few seconds, every time you start the motor, whether warm or not. Does it do that? Does it come on when the temp is less than 85*?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Johnson 150 Fast Strike v6 60 degree looper will only start when it is cold

Check your spark when it happens. Get an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16" and check the spark when it won't start.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

If it runs at normal operating temp, the first guess is you have a fuel issue. Do you use the choke whenever cold starting? If not, that is the first thing to try. If so, advance the throttle (throttle only) and see if that helps.

Second guess: Is Quickstart working? Maybe it doesn't work at the 85* threshold? It is supposed to kick on for a few seconds, every time you start the motor, whether warm or not. Does it do that? Does it come on when the temp is less than 85*?

he does NOT have a problem with a cold motor.......ONLY when its warm!!

id suggest what boobie says....start checking a few things...especially spark...when it warms up and WONT start....

i doubt it is fuel related.......if it was.... your motor would be hard to start cold........even though it would start..

id be looking for an electrical fault from a component that is in the ignition circuit...

bob