1999 Johnson 130hp rectifier/regulator???

thyNemesis

Seaman
I am having charging issues with my boat. Tested the battery charging circuit and it is only reading +12v. Batteries are not charging.

I'm looking to remove/replace the rectifier/regulator, so I called the local parts department and it runs around $100, Wow!

So, I am wondering if anyone has opened up this unit and repaired it themselves. I've read how others have installed an external
brige rectifier from RadioShack and the report it works fine. I, however, would like to see if I can open the blackbox and replace the internal rectifier/regulator myself. Does anyone know if this unit is epoxy incapsulated?

Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp rectifier/regulator???

Yes it is. Just replace it. And check all your battery cable connections on both the battery and the motor.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp rectifier/regulator???

I have done it many times on small engines but not on marine engines. I just use the rectifier and limit the charge current so it can't over charge so you don't cook the battery. I don't know how it will work on a marine engine. On something like a mower or garden tractor, the only drain is starting and the clutch, most time the lights have a coil of their own.