johnson 60 tiller

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a chance to buy a boat with a 60hp johnson outboard for a realy good price and the engine is in very good shape. It has steering and throttle controls. I want the engine for my 18' lund alaskan, but I want a tiller handle. The old fella that is selling the boat is not sure of the year of the outfit but the last 4 didgits of the serial number are .....1996. Does this mean it is a 1996? Can this motor be converted to a tiller handle?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: johnson 60 tiller

The serial number doesn't give you the year, you need the model number. If you can get that we can tell you the year and help you out on the conversion.

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Model # CJ60TLCUC
SN C 7481996

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. here are some pictures. Can it be changed to a tiller or would the effort not be worth it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I didn't see anyting listed in the accessories section for that year. That doesn't mean that someone hasn't done it.
Give it some time and see if some other members will chime in.

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, doesn't look like it is set up to be converted, but there are some clever chaps here in the forums that may know a trick or two.

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I will wait because the motor is in nice condition

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found this article and was wondering if this is what I need in post #17 http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...-johnson-remote-tiller-conversion-286142.html

I also found this steering mount, which I believe bolts to the same place that is described in the link above. According to the info in this link the tiller mount fits several engines of several years. All I would have to do is find a tiller steering assembly from one of the motors listed, hopefuly. http://www.**********/parts/detail/brp/B-0330242.html

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I suppose there might have been a tiller operated 60hp looper at some time in history, but they would be very rare if they were even made. Frankly, I have never seen one in my many years of outboard servicing. I would guess that conversion would be very involved. Word from me is forget it.

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

[QUOTE Word from me is forget it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the more that I have been thinking about it the more trouble I think it will be. I have enough stuff to do besides be consumed by a project that might not work. I will look for a motor that I can just bolt on and go, instead of messing around with. Thanks for the replys