Air/fuel mixture

Riverrat47274

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 83 Johnson 15 hp.when I rebuilt carb and removed welch plug it looks like a previous owner made a small hole in carb as the drilled out welch plug before.will this hole affect the air/fuel mixture?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Air/fuel mixture

There are small holes in it from the factory, how many holes are there?

Riverrat47274

Seaman Apprentice

Two from factory and one that looks like where someone accidentlly punched thru the welch plug and made a small hole.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I just had a 2000 model apart and there were 3 holes in it, 1 large one, the 2nd was a little smaller and the 3rd was smaller yet.
Are you having idle problems with your engine?

Riverrat47274

Seaman Apprentice

Yes.just rebuilt carb and getting inconsistent results.spark is good and fuel pump is new as well as new fuel line and tank.she won't even fire up now.i did notice that the cam timeing tab does not have an adjustment screw like I thought it should have.1983 Johnson 15hp.any idea's?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Where did you set the low speed needle to, how many turns out from lightly seated, 1 1/2 turns out?
Are you getting fuel into the carb, remove the bowel drain screw and see if gas comes out.

Riverrat47274

Seaman Apprentice

I set the slow speed needle 1 1/2 turns out.there is no drain valve on bowl of carb but pulled fuel line off side of carb and getting fuel there .also removed carb and rechecked it and fuel came out of it when I took it apart.