Throttle Control Spring - 1985 Johnson 25HP model CJ25RLCOS

Willyclay

Captain
Helping a bud with this motor that has been run hard in saltwater all its life. Referring to the parts diagram in the link below, here's what I found. Spring#81 is hanging loose on the end of Control Lever#37 and I do not have a service manual to help figure it out. Also, found one washer that I believe is Shim#39 on top of the powerhead. Not sure what else is missing and where it should be connected. Any suggestions?

Johnson Cylinder & Crankcase Parts for 1985 25hp J25RLCOS Outboard Motor

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle Control Spring - 1985 Johnson 25HP model CJ25RLCOS

There is a hole in the arm coming from the mag plate and the of end the spring with the sharp bend goes in that. The other end of the spring holds the arm to the lever using the bushing and the washer placed underneath the spring.

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks for the response. I looked at it again and think I understand what you are saying but I do better with pictures. Will post back after I have another go at it.

EDIT: Spent some more time on it this afternoon and figured it out based on your description. Thanks again! All the parts are there BUT am unable to compress the spring and engage the stud on the lever. Am planning to pre-load the spring using a Tyrap and then cut it after installation. Is there another way or am I just too weak in old age? Online Clymer and SELOC manuals are no help.

RE-EDIT: Found a picture. In Clymer's 1973-1990 E&J 2-40HP manual. Still have to gitter done!

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Tyrap approach did not work. Something apparently so simple and yet unable to install it. Any ideas?

Willyclay

Captain

Finally got installed. Took a Rube Goldberg rig of nylon line through the spring loop tied off to the cylinder head to hold the spring while I put it over the stud with a V-notched tack remover. I doubt that the factory did that way. LOL Thanks for the help!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I use needle nose pliers to get the second attachment done.

No real flaws with these that I am aware of. You mentioned the gear case was low/empty. Hopefully drained before put away? Anyways, flush/fill and hope for the best! lol

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks for posting in Chris. Based on the number of roaches, spiders and dirt daubber nests I found inside the cover, I'm afraid it was put away wet after being run hard! Planning on servicing the gearcase tomorrow before I start checking compression, spark, fuel flow, etc. I did shoot some fogging oil into the cylinders as soon as I got last week.