1988 Johnson 9.9 Tiller Handle Disassembly

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I just picked up a Johnson 9.9 motor, J10RCCD that I need to go over before I can use it. One problem is that the throttle cable does not move when I twist the grip. I assume it is frozen or jammed.

Finding the parts diagram is no problem but I am stuck on how to disassemble it without wrecking something. I want to see what's going on inside before ordering any parts. I have never messed with a tiller handle before.

Any help would be great.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Johnson 9.9 Tiller Handle Disassembly

On the black plastic at the base of the twist grip, if you look, there will be 2 opposing 1/4" holes that have plugs in them. Push BOTH of these plugs in simultainiously as you pull handle forward & off.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

On the black plastic at the base of the twist grip, if you look, there will be 2 opposing 1/4" holes that have plugs in them. Push BOTH of these plugs in simultainiously as you pull handle forward & off.

Best advice available on the internet!!! Be certain to check out his website in the signature too. I have been directing people there for years ;)

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

WOW! LeeRoy himself!

I have read EVERYTHING you put online on the 9.9 and 15. Just tonight before I posted this I re-read the part that applied to the handle but that was mostly about the gear type throttle control. I just Have to ask you a question I've been wondering...

IF a 9.9 and 15 are basically the same motor, save that the 9.9 is de-tuned, THEN assuming that prop, gears and timing are all the same, is running a 9.9 at WOT no harder on the motor than running the 15 backed off proportionally from WOT?

LeeRoy answered my post. How cool is that?

*** Well I thought I read all of LeeRoy's Ramblings but last night I found another page that covered the handle. It advised disconnecting the cable to see if the cable was frozen or if it was the timing plate.Well I did, and it is. The timing plate that is. So now the question becomes how to free up the timing plate (without wrecking anything)

Last edited:

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To check the timing plate, you will have to remove the flywheel and the electronics/timing plate underneath. However before you do that, check for binding of the output wires, or is the shifter lever in gear, which would stop the timing plate from fully advancing?

Thank you Bob

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks LeeRoy, will do Saturday and see what I can find.

Last edited:

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I took the flywheel off. It came off so hard that I began to imagine that maybe the motor had been under salt water and everything under the flywheel was a big lump of corrosion and full of all kinds of mean nasty horrible ugly things, until I got the flywheel off and everything looked Very Nice...

View attachment 211931

Except for 1 thing. This little thing was just hanging loose from one end of the cam follower link.

View attachment 211932

So, getting back to the original point of the thread, my throttle moves fine when in gear however when in neutral it only moves the timing plate about 3/32 of an inch. Comparing it to my 15HP I found the 9.9 moves only a hair less so I assume all is well there and just wanted to close out this thread as an example of how something can appear to be one thing and be something completely different. Now I will pull the carb and set things to rights and add new fuel lines and see what she does then, and if need be, start a new thread.

Thanks for the help and especially LeeRoy for the tremendous amount of info you shared in your "ramblings"

Last edited: