Johnson Sea Horse Question.. 20 hp?!

Eska3.0

Cadet
Hey everyone, just picked up a nice 14' aluminum boat that came with a Johnson Sea Horse outboard. The guy I bought it from claims its a 20hp, but I cant for the life of me find any info on this engine. The Model and Serial numbers read as follows :

Model# FD-19D
Serial# C454833

I will post pictures when I get home but I was wondering if ANYONE can point me in the direction of some information. Never had to work on a motor this large before and feel slightly overwhelmed. Any input or tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all again!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Sea Horse Question.. 20 hp?!

Model FD-19 is a 1965 18hp Johnson.

Eska3.0

Cadet

Okay thanks for your help. if you dont mind me asking, how did you find that out?? and also wondering if you know why on the identification tag it had my model and serial numbers and then underneath it had the years 1957, 1959, 1960, 1962?? What does this tell me?? (again will post pictures in 1.5 hours. )

nwcove

Admiral

Okay thanks for your help. if you dont mind me asking, how did you find that out?? and also wondering if you know why on the identification tag it had my model and serial numbers and then underneath it had the years 1957, 1959, 1960, 1962?? What does this tell me?? (again will post pictures in 1.5 hours. )

is that actually stamped on the tag? have never seen or heard of that???

Eska3.0

Cadet

yes it is... its the oddest thing. not much help with out the pics but ill get them up when im off work here. Thanks again!!

nwcove

Admiral

yes, pics will be interesting!!! you may have a frankenrude?!

Eska3.0

Cadet

haha uh oh... im hoping its not just trash, the guy said he had it running this year but they upgraded thats the reason for selling...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is a Canadian made Peterborough motor. The years are patent dates. I don't think I have seen them on the American made Milwaukee tags, just the Peterborough tags. Someone correct me if Im wrong here.

nwcove

Admiral

thats an interesting bit of info Chris!! as mentioned, ive never seen that on a tag.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Have any Canadian made motors? Go have a look at the tag on the bottom, fine print.

nwcove

Admiral

lol....just looked at one.....sure enough.... in tiny print "patented in canada 1956". ( may have to upgrade my dollar store reading glasses!!)

MoparMMatt

Cadet

I've seen a fair amount of frankinmotors with "homemade" plates that a guy put on as a "Replacement", Ive seen them with his name on it, along with the make of the boat that it went on. They use to sell those old plate embossing machines, Im guessing that's where this guy got this equipment, as they are very crude. If you have one with "Rodney" stamped on it let me know, this guy is out of Iowa. Id be curious to see how far the equipment made it.

Eska3.0

Cadet

IMAG0539.jpgIMAG0538.jpgIMAG0534-1.jpgIMAG0531.jpg

Hey again, heres the pics. interesting information from you all. and yes you hit the nail on the head ,about the peterborough thing im sure because as i forgot to mention I am up in Canada.

Edit. once i looked it over on the computer I can see how it reads patented in Canada with those years however initially i didn't read it like that. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

+1. The FD-19 was the last year Johnson made the 18hp. They switched it to 20hp the following year in '66 for the FD-20 model. I actually have one of each. Great motors and virtually all of the parts are interchangeable with the other FD/E models of the same era. Here's a great link. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

Eska3.0

Cadet

Thanks for that link ill have to read through it. And thanks for the info!! Im sure this won't be my last thread needing help. This forum is top notch, great members with great responses unlike some other forums I'm on . Thanks again.