2000 evinrude 135 ficht ram injection

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice
Bought this 1851 seaswirl with this evinrude and been on it three times with no problems. Today things were working until I turn the motor over to go home from fishing it seemed to be chugging like weeds on the prop. Checked it out and all was clear. Continued to go and still chugging, as I throttled down the engine quit and would not even turn over after, dead. All gauges seem to work along with the fishfinder/ gps. Saw a 15 amp fuse that was blown and it appears (red wire) to go to battery switch and back out to maybe the bow (not sure) hard to see. Switched the fuse and still nothing. I did have an electrical smell under the engine cowling , but no visible burnt wires. I did replace a new the fishfinder/gps last night and hooked it up to the main fuse panel only, but all is well under there unit still works. Taking it in tomorrow (hopefully), but just wanted some possible input. Thanks Mike

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2000 evinrude 135 ficht ram injection

I recommend that you disconnect everything from the batteries, except the engine battery harness. Make sure connections are tight and clean. Make sure the battery has a full charge and is in good shape. Try turning the engine over and see if it will start.

1. Key on, you should hear the fuel pump run.

2. The gauges should beep and then go through a process of lighting 4 lights and then all out.

3. The engine should turn up at least 200 RPM to start.

4. Check your fuel and oil for water.

5. Pull the spark plugs and see if any look any different to the others. Keep them numbered for the cylinder you pull the from, so you can put them back in the correct position.

6.There is a cover on the stbd side of the engine. Pull it off and check all the fuses. Are any blown?

7. Look near the top of the engine and you will see a small fuse holder. Check that fuse and see if it is intact.

There are a few checks for you to do. They will cut through the clutter of the other components you are checking.

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will check all tomorrow. Just concern about that burned electrical smell. Something cause that to blow.

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will check all tomorrow. Just concern about that burned electrical smell. Something cause that to blow.

Charging the batteries as I speak, but found out where that wire goes. It attaches to a 15 amp fuse ( which is the one that blew), goes from there inside the battery switch comes out to the main fuse box in the cuddy and its connected to the box with a 5 amp fuse which did not blow. What is the wire for?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like the main fuse for the accessories. It should be a 30 amp fuse at least with the wiring to go with that, and probably blew from a pump or something else shorting out, over worked and etc.

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice

should there be 12 volts to the solonoid when batteries disconnected? Trying to check my solnoid and its reading 12v with batteries disconnected. I am confused.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there are no wires on the battery you should have 0 volts at the solenoid. You may have a stray small wire attached at the battery which is showing 12 volts, but wouldn't have the amps to turn the engine over. It doesn't sound as if you have every wire off the batteries or battery switch.