1984 evinrude 35 still wont start

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since last thread I went back to the motor and removed almost every wire that looked old or fried, I removed the carburetor and cleaned it (it was clean anyways) then I set the low idle needle back to 1 3/4 turn cranked the engine with both spark plugs out and they have plenty of spark, also pulled the flywheel and cleaned the metal on the stator since they were dirty. When I put the spark plugs back in I prime the fuel then crank the engine and it wont start, tried several times and nothing. I pulled the spark plugs and they are wet with fuel, what am I missing here? I got the boat ready and I can't take it in the water bc of this issue, I'm a beginner on this 2 stroke outboards but I have gotten other old motors running I just can't figure this thing out, is it timing? A buddy told Me I can't time this motor. I will appreciate any advice in this matter.

Here are some pics of what I'm working on.
evinrude3.jpgevinrude.jpgevinrude2.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 evinrude 35 still wont start

Checking the spark with the plugs means nothing. The spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester. I got burned on that years ago.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It did jump far but I don't have a spark tester, I could buy one of those and see how far is does jump.

phillnjack2

Ensign

just make a spark tester !!!
its dead easy to make one if you have about 5 minutes to spare.

simply get a couple of bits of wood and screw them together and leave a 1 inch gap between them at the top.
put 1 crew in 1 side and 1 screw in the other, screw both in so there is a gap between them of 7/16 of an inch .
attach a wire to each of the screws, put 1 wire to the earth of the engine and 1 wire to the spark plug lead where the cap goes onto plug.
crank engine and watch if the spark jumps the gap (if it don't you wont see a spark at all so easy to tell if it does jump it.

now its just a matter of getting the gap right and 7/16 is also 11mm or just under half inch in old money ha ha so very easy to set a guage up for this.

this is just for thoise who cant get hold of a proper spark gap tester .

phill

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks I will try this and see if it jumps. Sorry for My ignorance on this 2stroke business, I'm quite handy but I speak mainly Diesel.

Btw it did start a few times in the past but it was at full throttle then and I thought it was not safe to do it again, what causes this?
Also the throttle spring doesn't look factory at all, any ideas what should go there or if I'm missing something important?

just make a spark tester !!!
its dead easy to make one if you have about 5 minutes to spare.

simply get a couple of bits of wood and screw them together and leave a 1 inch gap between them at the top.
put 1 crew in 1 side and 1 screw in the other, screw both in so there is a gap between them of 7/16 of an inch .
attach a wire to each of the screws, put 1 wire to the earth of the engine and 1 wire to the spark plug lead where the cap goes onto plug.
crank engine and watch if the spark jumps the gap (if it don't you wont see a spark at all so easy to tell if it does jump it.

now its just a matter of getting the gap right and 7/16 is also 11mm or just under half inch in old money ha ha so very easy to set a guage up for this.

this is just for thoise who cant get hold of a proper spark gap tester .

phill

Last edited:

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks I will try this and see if it jumps. Sorry for My ignorance on this 2stroke business, I'm quite handy but I speak mainly Diesel.

Btw it did start a few times in the past but it was at full throttle then and I thought it was not safe to do it again, what causes this?
Also the throttle spring doesn't look factory at all, any ideas what should go there or if I'm missing something important?

You can't start the motor at "full throttle", the controls prevent you from doing this. To start my 1980 35 hp I open the throttle as far as the motor will let me when it is in neutral. As soon as it starts I back off on the throttle until the RPM's sound more reasonable. You may have to play with the choke a little, such as holding it half on, until the motor runs smooth. BTW You want the RPM's as low as possible when you shift to protect the clutch dogs.

DLH

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I attached some pictures from the motor for everyone to see in case I'm missing something, apparently this model comes with out choke butterfly or actuator. It is full open all the time.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Your engine uses a choke solenoid, the black thing mounted to the side of the carb. When you hit the choke fuel is injected directly into the manifold behind the carb.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your engine uses a choke solenoid, the black thing mounted to the side of the carb. When you hit the choke fuel is injected directly into the manifold behind the carb.

Yes the little one with the red lever, I turn it to the side and pump fuel from the tank and when I see it arrived to the solenoid I turn it straight on top of the body then crank the motor.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should not have to move the lever for normal starting. Does the solenoid click when you energize it?

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I pulled it out and put 12v to it and it clicks. Can this motor be timed or is it like I was told that they are one position only? Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I don't understand why you are turning the lever.

AlTn

Commander

only"adjustment" to the ignition timing is having the roller on the carb linkage resting between the 2 "spikes" on the throttle control cam just as the throttle plate <butterfly> is beginning to open. As you advance the throttle both the ignition timing and the throttle plate opening are "sync'd" as one. When the throttle is at wot < wide open throttle> the cam roller should be on the highest point of the throttle control cam and the throttle butterfly should be exactly horizontal in the carb throat.

Marineengine.com has diagrams of your motor's components. As you note, that is not the correct throttle control spring.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought (that is what I saw the PO doing when He started it for Me to see that it did run) it was turn it to the side to bleed the system and when the fuel gets to it turn it back on top of its body and crank. I once put 12v to it and hear it pulse once every time I did this.
I didn't understand the first time why it didn't have a choke lever. I don't know if it is bad practice but I squirt a little starting fluid in it to see if it was a fuel problem and nothing happened.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

only"adjustment" to the ignition timing is having the roller on the carb linkage resting between the 2 "spikes" on the throttle control cam just as the throttle plate <butterfly> is beginning to open. As you advance the throttle both the ignition timing and the throttle plate opening are "sync'd" as one. When the throttle is at wot < wide open throttle> the cam roller should be on the highest point of the throttle control cam and the throttle butterfly should be exactly horizontal in the carb throat.

Marineengine.com has diagrams of your motor's components. As you note, that is not the correct throttle control spring.

Thank You very much for that link, I typed the model on My motor and looked at the diagrams for the carburetor. Here is a pic where it shows a butterfly on the front of the carburetor. Mine does not have this, it only has a butterfly inside controlled by the throttle arm.
missing fly.jpg

AlTn

Commander

what's your model #?...I looked at one of the 1984 35hp. diagrams and it has the primer as does yours

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Do not use starting fluid, no lube in it.
All you have to do is pump up the primer bulb till firm, activate the choke for a couple of seconds and start it. You might have to hit the choke a couple of times when cold after it starts. No need to mess with the lever at all.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mine is E35ELCRR, I made a little spark tester and set it at 7/16", it has plenty of spark. While I was there with the plugs out I thought I should turn the flywheel and see how much vacuum and pressure I can get through the spark plug hole, the top cylinder has very little pressure and the one on the bottom feels normal so I put a light there to take a look and seems something bit the piston a few times and there was some marks on one of the spark plugs , so it looks like this will need more attention to run properly. I pulled the first head and there is little T-stat that need changing and tried the second head but one of the bolts broke off I can wiggle it but the frozen bolt piece let Me pull it all the way. I had to go so I didn't go any further, I will have to clear the way around the stud that is left and after pulling the head I will see how much damage is done. Time to start looking for a rebuild kit? What should I do about this?

Here are some pics of what I worked on, I looked at some diagrams but I can't find the parts that are missing from the throttle lever and springs.

IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0007.jpg

Thanks again.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks like at the least I will need new rings if not a lot more. I already started a list at the marine engine website and I got the t-stat, the head gasket and I will see how far is the damage on the cylinder walls, what is best get it bored over or buy replacement head? Maybe by the time I round all the parts I can purchase a running engine for the same amount? In a way I like it bc I get to work on it with My Dad and maybe together We get it running again.