Fix a 40 hp Johnson or Hang a Mariner ?

PAUL577

Cadet
I just picked up a one owner 1990 Bass Tracker TX-17 for $1300. This boat is extra clean and garage kept with its original Tracker Johnson 40HP. Problem is the lower Cylinder is slightly scored. The head was pulled and I bought it knowing this. Just 5 miles from the boat, I picked up a 1987 Mariner 40hp for $350. The seller said it was a great motor and I was even shown a video of it running. It came with the Quicksilver control box & tank. The the cables are to long for the Bass Tracker so new 11ft cables will be required first off.
The Johnson is original and the boat is set up for it. It seems to be a low time motor, but will need some repair. I'm guessing around $1000 +. Another option is to shop ebay for a used power head ?
My original plan was to hang the Mariner and then "part out" the Johnson on ebay. The lower units seem to bring about $300 alone. I could also sell the carbs, controls, starter etc. etc.
If I fix the Johnson, I could re-sell the Mariner and maybe even make a few dollars on the sale.

Are the 87 Mariner motors as good as a repaired low time Johnson ?
I'd just like some opinions as to what "YOU" would do. Are there other things I need to consider that I may be missing ?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fix a 40 hp Johnson or Hang a Mariner ?

Being an OMC person, I would repair the johnson.

PAUL577

Cadet

I'm leaning that way too. I like to keep things original if I can. Of course I'll need to find out what caused this scoring problem in the 1st place. This repair is more than I can handle myself. So I hope a good shop will trouble shoot that for me. Maybe If I ask them to warranty their repair for a least 30 days, that would force them to be sure all systems are 100 %
Paul

matt167

Captain

Depending on the year and S/N the Mariner may be a Yamaha.. I would take a Mariner/ Yam over an Evinrude. The Merc/Mariners are still nice, but the 'rude made a better workhorse motor

PAUL577

Cadet

40EL 6E9 L 419388
Looks like I have a 1985 ( not 87 ) Yamaha Mariner. I Guess thats a good thing ?

matt167

Captain

I would say so.. I'd mount that and sell the Evinrude or part it out

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will you need to redrill the transom for the Mariner? Something to consider, filling the holes from the Evinrude if the bolt patterns are different. If you go with the Mariner, don't start parting out the 'rude until your satisfied it's a good runner and won't need as much or more repair than the 'rude.

matt167

Captain

Both motors are new enough, they should have BIA mounting

PAUL577

Cadet

Turns out my Mariner is a 85 a little older than I thought and they are not the same bolt pattern. But the Mariner still has top screw clamps so I will only have to drill two lower holes in the transom. Any good advice on filling those holes other than bolts, washers and RTV ? I'm also thinking of the dash mounted Tach and if I can make it work with the Mariner's wiring ? I'd really like a working tach.
The main draw backs to keeping the Johnson is: the repair cost and finding a good shop that I can trust to repair it right the 1st time.
It just seems anytime you tear into a motor that deep, its never the same. Maybe its just me.