Johnson 1957 7.5 hp High & Low needle valves

riverrat 2

Cadet
Does anyone out there know how many packing washers should go in the high and low needle valves? Mine were sucking air so bad . All I could find was a few little pieces. I know they come in a pkg of 4. does that mean 2 for each valve or 4 for each valve.Would appreciate your help. I am going to replace the impeller with a kit that arrived yesterday but when she fired up the one in there worked so I thought I could put it un the back burner and start on the stay running problem til I saw water coming out where it shouldn't. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 1957 7.5 hp High & Low needle valves

I think if you look at the parts breakdown it will show 2 packings on each needle. I put at least 2 on the needles, sometimes I use 3 if they will fit just to make sure I get a good seal.

riverrat 2

Cadet

Thanks fleet Admiral. I had a 57 johnson 7.4 back in the 60"s traded it after 5 years of use for a 15 merc electric start. Anyway ggot this motor for $50.00 but never had all the bad hoses, gas connections, gas tank etc on mine but there is a time frame difference and I know nothing of the history of this one. So bear with me I qwill have alot more questuions as I go along. Thanks for your help,m I am retired so it does give me something to do' Thanks againb riverrat 2

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

There is always someone around here to help you out, just come back and ask.