1990 Evinrude 200 HP VE200SLESE Cranking RPM

bstoerzer

Recruit
Hard Starting when cold. I did a voltage drop test on the starter circuit and all checks OK - new battery.

I am only cranking @ 175RPM. Is this too low?

Thanks for your assistance

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude 200 HP VE200SLESE Cranking RPM

All of the manuals I have read list the needed cranking rpm as being at least 300 rpm. This is needed in order to have the stator energize the powerpack's capacitor. Anything below 300 rpms results in weak or no ignition.

Run good known jumper cables directly from the battery to the electric starter's terminal and ground. If the rpms increase, you'll know that you have a loose or tight but dirty cable/wire connection somewhere. If no increase in rpms, have the starter checked out.

bstoerzer

Recruit

All of the manuals I have read list the needed cranking rpm as being at least 300 rpm. This is needed in order to have the stator energize the powerpack's capacitor. Anything below 300 rpms results in weak or no ignition.

Run good known jumper cables directly from the battery to the electric starter's terminal and ground. If the rpms increase, you'll know that you have a loose or tight but dirty cable/wire connection somewhere. If no increase in rpms, have the starter checked out.

Thanks much Joe. I will try the jumper cables. If no change, is it best to replace the starter or try to rebuild with a kit like this one (attached)?

Attachments

• Rebuild Kit.JPG
    Rebuild Kit.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Repair/Replace...? That depends on what may be wrong with the starter. Many times, it is something rather simple such as a stuck brush.

If it turns out to be the starter, take it apart first for inspection as you would have nothing to lose by doing so.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bstoerzer Could I ask how you calculated your max rpm's I am having the same issue on a 04 225hp thanks' kodibass