1971 Evinrude 60 hp, replacing the impeller

chiptooth

Recruit
I Recently was given my grandfathers 1971 StarCraft boat with the original 1971 60 hp Evinrude outboard engine. I know some of the history on the engine, but it has not run since roughly 2001. The boat and engine have been well taken care of and it has been stored indoors since its last outing. I am going through the engine. I have read many of the blogs on this site and have found it all very useful and informative. It was suggested that I change the impeller amongst many other checks prior to even starting the engine. I have the original service manual and I have followed the instructions on removing the gearcase (lower unit) to access the water pump and impeller. After removing the bolts the gearcase isn't smoothly coming apart from the exhaust housing. Any ideas or suggests would be appreciated.
:confused:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1971 Evinrude 60 hp, replacing the impeller

You will have to disconnect the shift rod; I am not familiar with your engine but one of the gurus should chime in and let you know how that is done. Good luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't have a shift rod, but it does have an electrical cable. Are you sure you have all the bolts out, including the one above the trim tab? The service manual is correct and should tell all.

If it's anything like my 71 50 hp evinrude it has 6 bolts to remove.

chiptooth

Recruit

I have remove all six bolts, four bolts on the outer flang, one that holds the trim tab and the one up under the trim tab. Should the gearcase easily slide from the exhaust housing or do you have to gently knock it apart?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Isn't there another bolt in front of the trim tab? There should be 4 bolts on the outer edges, 1 bolt under the trim tab and another bolt in front of the trim tab. Don't forget to attach a wire or string to the shift wires so that you can pull the shift harness back up when you install the lower unit.
Sometimes a lower unit can be kind of sticky, you just have to work with it. Are you sure the drive shaft is not seized in the power head?

chiptooth

Recruit

Admiral

Thank you for the information. How would I know if the drive shaft is seized in the power head? If it is, any suggestions on how to free it up. I will gently try to force the lower apart. I will let you know the results. Keep the great help coming.:rolleyes:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you are certain you have all the bolts out, and the shift wire disconnected, you might try gently prying at the seam where the lower unit meets the exhaust housing.
If the driveshaft is seized, you have a job on your hands.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look at the top of the page where the posts are listed.