Still need help with our 1957 Johnson 35hp

Paul&Mike

Cadet
To see where we started take a look at our first post. http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...lp-1957-johnson-rde-19-35hp-motor-617128.html

Problem 1:
Since then we rebuilt the carburetor and have set the high and low speed but when we run in high or sometimes in low it runs great for only a few minutes, then the motors power cuts in and out, so we would play with the settings and it would get better for and few minutes but then starts up again. Any ideas?

Problem 2:
When we got home from the lake and tilted the motor down we noticed gas coming out of the carburetor and don?t know why this is happening since we?ve rebuilt it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul&Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Still need help with our 1957 Johnson 35hp

1: Try constantly pumping the primer button on the tank to get a good supply of fuel to the carb. Maybe you have a slight air leak in the system not allowing the engine to build pressure in the tank.
2: It is not uncommon for fuel to leak out of the carb when you tilt the engine up.

Paul&Mike

Cadet

1: Try constantly pumping the primer button on the tank to get a good supply of fuel to the carb. Maybe you have a slight air leak in the system not allowing the engine to build pressure in the tank.
2: It is not uncommon for fuel to leak out of the carb when you tilt the engine up.

Thanks Daviet

1. We will see if we can find any air leaks and try what you said.
2. Its good to know that its not uncommon thing but it leaked about a cup or 2 of gas. Is that normal for that much gass to come from the carb?

Thanks for all the help
Paul&Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If there is pressure in the tank, and the engine is tilted enough that the needle comes out of the seat, the carb will flow fuel as long as there is pressure in the system. Try cracking the cap on the tank when you are done using it to relieve the pressure in the system and see if it helps.

Paul&Mike

Cadet

If there is pressure in the tank, and the engine is tilted enough that the needle comes out of the seat, the carb will flow fuel as long as there is pressure in the system. Try cracking the cap on the tank when you are done using it to relieve the pressure in the system and see if it helps.

Thanks Daviet that makes senses.

Thanks
Paul&Mike

kfa4303

Banned

When/if you get the fuel deliver issue sorted out and the problem persists, you may want to make sure that you're getting consistent spark from both cylinders. The ignition components can sometimes fail when they get heat up. Particularly, if they haven't been serviced in a while. The factory coils have a 100% failure rate and should be replaced, if you haven't done so already.

Paul&Mike

Cadet

Ok I just got home and took a look at the motor and was checking the fuel lines and I unhooked the fuel connector that connects the tank to the motor and the fuel that came out was orange and I can seen the gas in the fuel filter bowl was also orange too. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also I checked the tank and fuel was clear. Any Ideas why its orange?

Thanks
Paul&Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Additive in the gas, the type of oil you used?
It's not old gas is it?

Paul&Mike

Cadet

It's new gas and I added Valvoline Outboard 2 cycle Marine Oil at 50:1.

Thanks for the help
Paul&Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sometimes the oil you use will tint the gas, The last oil I used tinted the gas a blue color.

Paul&Mike

Cadet

Yeah I could understand blue because the oil is blue but orange is strange to me.

Thanks for your feedback.

Paul&Mike

Cadet

When/if you get the fuel deliver issue sorted out and the problem persists, you may want to make sure that you're getting consistent spark from both cylinders. The ignition components can sometimes fail when they get heat up. Particularly, if they haven't been serviced in a while. The factory coils have a 100% failure rate and should be replaced, if you haven't done so already.

Hi kfa4303

How could I test the coil? My tank is holding pressure and all the fuel lines look good so I'm thinking maybe its the coil like you said.

Thanks
Paul&Mike

kfa4303

Banned

You can use a gap tester to check for spark, but to check the coils you'll need to pull the flywheel. The original, factory OMC coils all cracked and failed eventually. The spark plug wires can sometimes wiggle free of the coils as well. Replacement coils are only about $20 and will last forever.

82rude

Rear Admiral

orange fuel ?could you have rust in the tank?rust will give you the ill running also.the filter proably wouldn't catch it all.

kfa4303

Banned

yeah, that sounds a little weird to me too. Premix fuel usually has a blue/greenish/greyish color depending on the brand of oil, but I've never seen orange :/

Paul&Mike

Cadet

I looked in the tank and didnt see any rust. I bleed the fuel line on the tank until it came out clear/blueish green like normal. I was thinking could the gas be burnt and backed up in the line because the fuel has a bit of a thicker consistence like it was broken down. I even keep a glass with very little orange gas next to a glass with same amount of clean gas over night and the next day the orange gas evaporated down to a honey like consistence but the clean gas was the same. I'm going to clean out all the fuel lines tonight and start from there. Its weird!!

Thanks for all the help guys.
Paul&Mike