1959 Johnson 5.5

outboardsusa

Seaman
Got me a 1959 Johnson 5.5 last year I believe for the old pressure tank motors but someone seems to have installed a fuel pump on it which made me happy, it has two connectors a long pointed one and a shorter rounded one that runs to the pump, I guess that is a connector to the newer type tank that came out about 1960, that is the type I need to get? Also at the prop there is no cotter pin and hub holding on the prop, does this motor have shear pin? It is not what I'm familiar with.... thank you...

handifly

Seaman
Re: 1959 Johnson 5.5

How did they do the conversion? I was told it was very hard to do on the 5.5.

kfa4303

Banned

Got me a 1959 Johnson 5.5 last year I believe for the old pressure tank motors but someone seems to have installed a fuel pump on it which made me happy, it has two connectors a long pointed one and a shorter rounded one that runs to the pump, I guess that is a connector to the newer type tank that came out about 1960, that is the type I need to get? Also at the prop there is no cotter pin and hub holding on the prop, does this motor have shear pin? It is not what I'm familiar with.... thank you...

hi outboard. Yes, you will need a modern, single-line tank with OMC fittings at each end. You can find them at any boat shop, or online. Yes, you do have a shear pin, it's located on the backside of the prop. If you remove the cotter pin then unscrew the prop cone, the prop itself will slide off. You'll then notice the brass shear pin passing through the propshaft. Here are some great links to familiarze yourself with your new toy.

5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1954-1964
1959 Johnson Evinrude 5.5 hp Outboard Parts by Model Number

nwcove

Admiral

How did they do the conversion? I was told it was very hard to do on the 5.5.

sorry to add to the hijack........but its quite easy to convert to fuel pump. it can be done in less than a half hour......no drilling or special tools!! heres a few pics .

DSCF1737.jpgDSCF1738.jpgDSCF1740.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You don't have a shear pin on your model. The CD incorporates a drive pin to connect the prop to the prop shaft. It is located under the nose cone.

The gearcase and powerhead is protected via a shock absorber assembly underneath the water pump.

outboardsusa

Seaman

Thank you, so I don't have a shear pin? I had another Johnson and Evinrude about the same age and the hub was held on by a cotter pin you removed it to take the prop off and replace the pin, this doesn't have that, how does one take the prop off if I change it to a 3 blade or such?

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If memory is correct, will have to look at my 59 when I get home but need to take the plastic cone off then
can see the pin that is holding the prop on. Should come off pretty easy when the pin is removed.

nwcove

Admiral

DSCF2079.jpg

^^ heres what you probably have(not sure if any changes were made for 59?). to remove the prop, pull the cotter pin from the cone, that will expose the drivepin. and yes, the cone is the only thing that keeps the pin in place. ( only use a ss cotter pin, or you will be looking for a cone and prop in short order)

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Tim posted above, that is what you will find. No shear pin behind the prop, only a drive pin under the plastic nose cone.

As stated, us SS only cotter pins. Otherwise, you may be paddling to shore one day ;)

outboardsusa

Seaman

If memory is correct, will have to look at my 59 when I get home but need to take the plastic cone off then
can see the pin that is holding the prop on. Should come off pretty easy when the pin is removed.

Thank you... And to take the cone off you just pull it off?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yup, after the cotter pin is removed of course.

outboardsusa

Seaman

That is not what I have, there is a black rubber or plastic cone behind the prop, it doesn't have a cotter pin in it and it spins when you turn it, I don't know how you pop it off, the other OMC motors I have had had the setup in your photo, thank you

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it is like the one I have, the cone is made out of rubber and you just pry it off. That will expose the shear pin.

outboardsusa

Seaman

I saw it, so that pin under the rubber cone will break if the prop hits something hard enough? The shear pins I always had were under the prop, thanks for showing me

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well no, unless you hit something pretty bad. It is a drive pin as I mentioned, made of harder material than a shear pin.

Your impact is taken up by the shock absorber located beneath the water pump inline of the drive shaft.