2001 Evinrude Ficht Model: E135FSXSIF - Check Engine for High Voltage - Bad EMM?

chuexiong1

Cadet
Model/Serial #: E135FSXSIF/4935955

Code Times Last Description
25 1 325:47 EMM temperature above expected range
26 5 366:20 Battery voltage below expected range / excessive battery load
27 7 384:06 Battery voltage above expected range

Just yesterday the check engine light came on for code 27 high voltage. I do not remember the check engine light coming on for low voltage. Anyways, if I idle it's perfectly fine. If I give it load and/or go WOT at 4000-4200rpm for about 3-5 mins, the check engine sound and light would come on. The sound would stay on for ~10 seconds, the light would stay on for ~30 seconds and then go off. It doesn't put my engine in slow mode either. The engine rides great. No hesitation or anything.

This was the first time I took the boat out after removing my fish finder. No fish finder installed as of now.

I have checked my battery and all connections making sure there were no corrosion or loose nuts.

I have been researching and am afraid it is the voltage regulator in the EMM. I would hate to spend $700 just to get it fix.

Any ideas on what else I should check?

Can I still run the motor and just ignore the high voltage warning w/out any damage to the motor?

Is there an external voltage regulator that I can rig into the engine?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Evinrude Ficht Model: E135FSXSIF - Check Engine for High Voltage - Bad EMM?

It sounds as if you have EVdiags to connect to it, correct? If you do, I would simply plug in the engine and go for a ride at different speeds. Watch the system and charging volts in the monitor section. That will give you a clue to what is going on. I often see these codes as spurious thrown sometimes and have not had to action them, unless of course the condition is caused by the engine, which of course is possible. They are codes thrown for a parameter that is out of spec and hardwired to throw a code. If they are consistant and you have made the checks you have shown, then action would be required.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Evinrude Ficht Model: E135FSXSIF - Check Engine for High Voltage - Bad EMM?

No there is no external voltage regualtor for this engine. It actually "stacks" the voltage from the stator internally to get the 40 volts needed to run the injectors. That is strictly EMM, unless of course you model is early and has the seperate voltage regulator, that would need to be OEM spec anyway.

You could of course disconnect everything but the engine from the battery, and reconnect things one at a time if you see a problem in EVDiags as a way of troubleshooting this.

Last edited:

chuexiong1

Cadet

Thanks Multitech. I will go ahead and do what you say. I do have EVDiag, but not the new version.

chuexiong1

Cadet

I checked the water flow through my fuel separator and EMM. The flow does not seem to be pressurized or anything. It's at the speed of a regular water hose turned on. Is that normal?

I also took off the EMM cover but couldn't really see anything since it's covered in some kind of gel. The gel is smooth though and it doesn't look like anything burned. Is there any way for me to take out the gel?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Why would you take the gel out ?? And what good would it do you ??

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

The gel is called potting. It is used to protect the circuitry underneath it. If you don't have a degree in electronics, leave it alone! If you dont know the machine language used to program it. Don't touch it! EMMs are considered an assembly only to be worked on by professionals.

You have gone from asking about the codes to cooling on the EMM. They could be connected. What is the max temp. of the EMM. A newer version of EVdiags will tell you on the "indentfication" page, if my slightly drunk state will allow me to remember the names of them? :) If it has ever gone above 212 F, either send it out to be looked over and repaired or get a remanned one from BRP. It will be costly.

Have you gone for a run and montiored the engine stats? If not. Why not? That would give you the information that you need to know about your engines condition. I only work with the latest version of EVdiags and have done for years. If you have the old DOS version or near that, you may not get all the info you may need. I don't know without knowing what version you are using

If you have the monitoring capacity you will be able to tell the engine temp, the exh backpressure, the system volts, the charging volts and amps and other important parameters. That will be a huge help in finding out what those codes mean.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Multimech, you have a PM.

chuexiong1

Cadet

I took the boat out for a run this evening and drove it for a while without the check engine light coming on. Than on the way back it happened again. I logged a run when the check engine light came on. My nephew was watching the voltage and it never went above 15 volts. I tried saving the log into an excel and pdf file, but the file was not saved for some reason. Can't find it anywhere.

The software version I have is 4.2. Unfortunately it doesn't give me any EMM temp history.

I won't be able to go out until Thursday again.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't say if the voltage is the problem that caused the check engine light. I will check the manual at work tomorrow to see what threshold the EMM has before it sends an alert. If your nephew was watching the system volts then you have a problem there that may be causing the problem. Please tell us system volts, charging volts, temp. TPS volts.

chuexiong1

Cadet

One other thing. Before all this started happening, my fuel pressure check fitting was leaking so I just replaced that whole fuel hose with an automotive fuel hose of the same size. I didn't care to buy another fitting. It's the fuel hose that connects on the fuel separator. I know that hose is oem pressurized and the one I installed is not. Could that be a problem? I doubt it right?

I will also get my two batteries checked out. What is the minimum CCA I should have for my outboard? I think mine is only ~550CCA rating but I have been using it for about 2 years w/out any issue.

Last edited:

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I doubt that was the problem associated with the electrical issues. You are talking about the line that has the test fitting built into it correct. I would only ever put in another OEM fuel line, that is because I do work at a factory shop and that has put me into a lot of good habits. Be very careful of leaks. The lines are meant to snap onto the fittings. Make very sure you have no leaks, you could have a fire that wouldn't be very fun.

chuexiong1

Cadet

Yeah, I am talking about the line that has the test fitting. It's not leaking since I clamped both ends down. Will post updates later tonight.

chuexiong1

Cadet

Took my trolling motor battery and engine battery to go test at O'reilly. Both batteries tested out good. I hook them up separately on the boat.

Next, I rerouted the ground wire coming from the EMM below the PDP to the starter ground wire.

I also took off both my fuel filter, emptied them, and screw them back on.

Last thing, I added a quart of oil since my oil was kinda of low.

One more thing, I unhooked my accessories positive and negative from my engine battery so only my engine was using the battery.

Took it out for a ~5 minutes drive down river to fish running at ~3800 rpm. No check engine light.
On the way back, ~4 minutes up river running at ~3800 rpm and ~1 minute running ~4200 rpm. No check engine light.

Usually the check engine light would come on w/in 1-2 minutes. Hopefully this solves the problem. I'll update in about a week or so.

chuexiong1

Cadet

Took the boat out the other day. Drives great now. No check engine light coming on anymore. Not sure what was causing the engine to throw a high voltage code when there were no high voltage or voltage spikes.

chuexiong1

Cadet

Alright, I didn't want to start a new thread so here we go. Just a few nights ago, I took the boat out for some sturgeon fishing. Everything was fine in the beginning. Getting ready to come back to the launch, I crank the motor and it weakly turned over. She still fired up though unexpectedly, but once she's running, the check engine light quickly comes on. Got home and check the battery. It was drained out. I recharged the battery and she fired right up fine with no check engine light. With the engine running, I used a multimeter to test the voltage at the battery. It reads 12.5 at idle and stays at 12.5 when I increase the rpm up to 1500rpm. Change battery and tried again. Same result. Hooked it up to the software. The voltage stays constant at 12.5 when idling and revving. Besides this problem, she runs great.

Does this mean the stator or/and regulator is not working anymore? Alternator?